San Diego dive advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out my dive reports on socal diving.....I did the Coronados Islands in early June and was not too impressed; not a lot to see. On the other hand, I dove two wrecks, the Yukon and the Ruby E, which were really good! I would strongly recommend the wrecks and have heard the kelp beds off Pt Loma are really worth seeing.

Hope this helps.

Also....very cold diving. Bottom temps 51F. Drysuit would have been nice.

Last edited:
You might also want to check out shorediving.com and divebums.com for info about sites.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West
Numbers 9-20 of Shore Diving are in San Diego County.

Divebums - Dive Site Descriptions

Finding parking during the summer can be difficult, so it's usually best to arrive at the sites as early as you can stand to for daytime diving; for night dives it isn't quite so hard.

Last edited:
Marissa (by far best), then Lois Ann. I avoid the others (except for the Yellow Boat, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for).

As for shops, SDUA is tops.

The Divebums website is a good resource.

If you're shore diving, check out LJ Cove and LJ Shores.

For boat dives, the wrecks are nice, as are the kelp beds. I thought the Coronados Islands were just fine, but I guess it comes down to expectations.

Water is cold, not very cold, though yeah, it is dry suit temps.

Another vote for Marissa and the LoisAnn for local boat diving. Here is a link to them and other California charters: California Dive Boats : The Official Page . And if you get a chance to dive north a bit,
there are great boats and beach dives from Laguna to Ventura and beyond. Let us know.

There will be a big group of divers meeting at La Jolla Shores on Sunday, the 21st. I will try to be there as well. It is a group of both new and experienced divers from the SD dive group/club Powers Scuba. The point is for the experienced divers to help out the new divers a bit but there will also be just divers. There will be a bring your own meat bbq afterwards. Come out! Check out the power scuba meet up group here if you want more info: La Jolla Shores: Come Join the Vets and Newbs! - Power Scuba (aka Scuba Diving in San Diego County ) (San Diego, CA) - Meetup.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom