San Clemente Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAJENNIFER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be out in LA again from the 29th of August until Sept 3rd. Ocean Adventures has chartered the Sundiver Sept 1st, for a Trip to Santa Barbara Island. I'm thinking of jumping on, but it appears to be quite a haul since the boat is leaving at midnight the night before. Is it worth it??

Anything there that I'm not going to see anywhere else??

Ok, hold that thought...I just spoke to Joseph at Ocean Adventures. They have decided to go to San Clemente...Aye Chihauhau!! Sundiver's website says Catalina, OA's website says Santa Barbara, but they are really going to San Clemente!!!

Geez!!!

Ok, different island, same question!!! :D

GO!!!

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I'll be out in LA again from the 29th of August until Sept 3rd. Ocean Adventures has chartered the Sundiver Sept 1st, for a Trip to Santa Barbara Island. I'm thinking of jumping on, but it appears to be quite a haul since the boat is leaving at midnight the night before. Is it worth it??

Anything there that I'm not going to see anywhere else??

Do you like sea lions? LOTS of sea lions? If so, I'd go.

merxlin:
Do you like sea lions? LOTS of sea lions? If so, I'd go.

Well I would have liked that...Although I am going to Anacapa Thur and Friday. I might be sea lioned out. Maybe San Clemente will be better then.

Like Merxlin said, if you like sealions and their pups, then Santa Barbara Island (SBI) should definately be on your to-do list. That is especially true this time of year when the rookery is chocked full of those pups. Cameras are a must! You should have similar experiences in early Sept as well. All they want to do is play, nip and fins, bark in your face, ect. The problem with SBI this time of year until the end of Sept though is that it can be a gamble as to if you make it there. And then even if you get there, would you be able to dive it. We were there last week and we got beat up pretty bad on the way out, and had limited spots to dive once there. The backside of the island, where all the really cool stuff like Rocky Pinnacles, Three Sisters, the Arches, the Outside Boilers and even Sutil Island had that nasty wrapping high current happening. Finger Rock and Brittle Star Reef on the front-ish side were also suffering from the current effect. That left us with the Rookery and White Cave for the most part. The best time of year to dive SBI would be between late Sept and Feb. The water is much clearer during these months. It's also prime lobster hunting season, which turns SBI into an equally prime bug hunting destination.

San Clemente Island (SCI) is no slouch though as an alternative. Water tends to be clearer and slightly warmer by a few of degrees this time of year. Really cool sites, but no rookery population to speak of though. There are a couple shallow wrecks to hit, but they have been pretty much destroyed over and over again my the millitary. While SCI has a higher chance of a boat making it out there, it is a millitary controlled island, and they do close the island down (as well as areas away from the island) from time to time for training purposes. They have a website that shows the schedule of the closures, but it almost never is followed. Last minute closures are normal for the island's security. SCI is known for it's cool UW reefs, walls, arches, boilers, UW artillary treasures (spent and not-so-spent rocket and gun shells and JATO charge cylinders) and cool yellow tail that ping to and fro all day long. The backside and eastern side of the islands have the more interesting sites for me. I love all the coves and points on the backside like Runway Kelp, Redbanks, Seal Cove and Swiss Cheese Reef. The eastern tip has great spots like East End Wall, Pyramid and China Point, Ordinance Reef and the Bluffs Anchorage. The front is great as well with Windowpane, MOsquito Cove, Fishook, Blockhouse Reef, Three Caves the famous Little Flower Wall.

With both of these islands, if you do get blown out from the diving enroute to, or once there, you have very little choice than to backtrack the boat to Catalina, where there are plenty of places to dive somewhat sheltered (usually). This extra travel time really cuts into your dive time unless you are on a multiple day trip - where you have the best chance of hitting either island (no time constraints) and can be doing MANY dives per day. It's the best bang for the buck if you have the time.

Travel time difference between the two islands...? it's typically about an hour more to SCI than SBI when leaving from the LA area.

Twice I've been on boats headed to SB Island and ended up at Clemente. I wasn't sorry for the trade off either time. I did get one day at SB that was very calm, and was able to hit 5 separate dive spots, and each was a great dive. The advantage to leaving at midnight is that you are there ready to dive at 6 or 7 and can get in a pre breakfast dive. Of course, the other reason it leaves then is, well, it is the Sundiver. A great boat and crew, but definately not the fastest in the water. But if anyone will get you there, it would be Ray or Ken and crew.

Couldn't resist after all the talk and posts, so decided to get a pre-Roatan dive in and am going to SB Island with OA & the Sundiver this Sunday. I'll let you know how it was.

merxlin:
Couldn't resist after all the talk and posts, so decided to get a pre-Roatan dive in and am going to SB Island with OA & the Sundiver this Sunday. I'll let you know how it was.

Sweet!!! I hope it's not too good (j/k :D),I don't want to be super jealous, because according to OA, they are definitely going to San Clemente since they are going to SB this time. I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going. Bottom Scratcher has an open boat that day that I'm considering as well.

As a side note, thanks for all the info you guys! Especially Tleemay, 18 posts in 4 years..I feel pretty special to get one!! :hugs:

Can't really add anything except to say both SBI and SCI are unique experiences, if you can make it. I think in 5 0r 6 trips to these islands I've had one turn back. Not bad odds.

SCI is my favorite diving though, you really feel like you are diving some pristine kelp forests out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom