Same second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pumpkin King

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided to get the RG2500 reg from Dive Rite. This is based on availability and ease of service, so I have thought out the options, including Apeks for me.eyebrow My only question is whether it's worth getting the 2010 as my backup, or just the 1210. I can think of good reasons for both, and would just like the advise of some more experienced divers. Thanks everyone.

p.s. this is a hogarthian setup with a 7 foot primary.

I have the RG1215, a tech diving buddy helped me decide what to get and that's what he suggested I order. I didn't ask why, he knows me and what I want from a regulator and that was the one that fit the bill.
I love my 2500Ice!
Ber :lilbunny:

StagRaven:
Ok, so I've decided to get the RG2500 reg from Dive Rite. This is based on availability and ease of service, so I have thought out the options, including Apeks for me.eyebrow My only question is whether it's worth getting the 2010 as my backup, or just the 1210. I can think of good reasons for both, and would just like the advise of some more experienced divers. Thanks everyone.

p.s. this is a hogarthian setup with a 7 foot primary.

Not an experienced user, but did want to let you know that I've decided on the same purchase. I'll soon be purchasing the RG2500ICE and I've decided to go with the 1210 and not another 2010 as a 2nd. My reasoning is (1) cost and (2) I'd like a simpler, unbalanced 2nd. However, I've read several posts from folks who us two 2010s and I can't really argue against it. It sounds like a rock solid, reliable reg. I've just (for now at least) bought into the DIR concept that your 2nd stage should be a simpler, unbalanced design that is absolutely reliable.

Just remember that you will need to keep it detuned so it dosen't freeflow readily.

Pete

You'll have to decide for yourself, but remember with the long hose configuration the backup reg is for you so choose wisely. :D I have basically the same backup reg as my primary, it has a venturi level that does a great job of preventing freeflows, and I still have a great performing reg if/when needed.

For cold water diving, I usually suggest getting an alternate of equal quality and with the same cold water features as your primary. My reasoning is when your buddy needs your alternate he is not going to be the calm cool easy breather he normally is (either will you). You'll both probably be breathing a bit harder and won't want to risk a freeze/free flow on your alternate.

Another vote for getting an identical second stage for the short hose as you have for the long hose. I say get the best one you can afford. DIR philosophies seem to indicate that it is better to get a slightly simpler second stage and de-tune it. I say get an identical high quality one and if you want to de-tune it just turn the little knob yourself, then when you need to use it you can turn the knob back to the "good" setting.

I am not a DIR trained diver, but I do dive a Hogarthian rig for both single and double tank diving and on both rigs the second stages are matched.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom