SALVO REBEL LED's are here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Barry,

Nice to see one more ostar based diving lamp out there - may I ask some questions regarding your new LED Light? I´m working myself some time with the ostar emitter in my DIY projects (Mike´s Tauchseiten) and so I know the emitter and the market for optics and reflectors quite well for this little guy ;-)

The fotos aren´t quite high resolution, but I recognise the fraen ostar spot reflector, right? ;-)
How do you measure the 6 degree angle?
Then which kind of ostar are you using? The new "1000 Lumen" emitter (LE UW)? If yes, how do you get 5600 Kelvin out of this emitter, that is specified with 6500K? And as I see you cut of the build in silicone lens, right? ;-)

And last but not least - in april I´m writing a big LED diving lamp test for a well known german online magazine (dive inside). Your new rebel would fit perfect in the test range and can compete with all other ostar based lights availible worldwide. Interested? PM me! ;-)

greets from germany,
Mike

Mike,
We had this reflector made for us to achieve the 6 degree angle. The emitters are 6500k, I need to change that, thanks. We do not use the dome as we get more intensity without it from our reflector. You can contact me at barry@salvodiving.com about your upcoming write-up.

Barry

That would be out of the water.
Barry

Don't beam angles from dry reflectors change when in water? I think you participated in that discussion moons ago, no?

Don't beam angles from dry reflectors change when in water? I think you participated in that discussion moons ago, no?

I never said that, but it was claimed by someone else. It may be true, but if it was it would apply to all light sources.

Barry

It is true, indeed, that the beam angel gets narrower within the water. That´s just an effect when the light comes out of the font glas it is diffracted, cause it goes from glas to air. Water has a differrent diffraction faktor like air, so light from glas to water is diffracted another way. This is the cause why a 10 degree diving lamp has only 8-9 degree in water. And yes, Barry is right, that applies to all diving lamp, certainly. ;-)

@barry how do you measure the beam angle of the ostar lamp? Is it a fullangle or only a halfangle?

greets,
Mike

It is true, indeed, that the beam angel gets narrower within the water. That´s just an effect when the light comes out of the font glas it is diffracted, cause it goes from glas to air. Water has a differrent diffraction faktor like air, so light from glas to water is diffracted another way. This is the cause why a 10 degree diving lamp has only 8-9 degree in water. And yes, Barry is right, that applies to all diving lamp, certainly. ;-)

@barry how do you measure the beam angle of the ostar lamp? Is it a fullangle or only a halfangle?

greets,
Mike

Mike,
I am not sure I understand your question. The lamp does not have a beam angle, it is the reflector. I have never heard the term half or full angle.
Barry

Hi Barry,

Isn´t it the light, that comes out of a lamp at a certain angle? The question is how is it measured. When speaking of a fullangle (perhaps that isn´t the right word in english?!) I measure the lightbeam from 50% brightness level at the right, over the 100% in the hotspot, down to 50% bightness to the left. The halfangle ist just the half of it, say 50% right to 100% in the Hotspot.
I picture can say more than thousend words:
Abstrahlwinkel_LED.gif

In this case we have 100 degree fullangle.

greets,
Mike

Hi Barry,

Isn´t it the light, that comes out of a lamp at a certain angle? The question is how is it measured. When speaking of a fullangle (perhaps that isn´t the right word in english?!) I measure the lightbeam from 50% brightness level at the right, over the 100% in the hotspot, down to 50% bightness to the left. The halfangle ist just the half of it, say 50% right to 100% in the Hotspot.
I picture can say more than thousend words:
Abstrahlwinkel_LED.gif

In this case we have 100 degree fullangle.

greets,
Mike

Mike,
I would have to say it was full angle.
Barry

Its time for a battle because I truly love the salvo products but the Solus lights have really got my interest. I however do not have access to either companies lights and at the moment I cant afford a can light since my car needs a new engine.

The solus SU-500 is rated to be comparable to a 21W HID and the Salvo has a 21W Led so we need to get some pics comparing the two. The best comparison would be pictures or all 3 sizes but salvo doesn't have anything above 21W yet where as Solus has a claimed 50W HID equivalent.

I do Like the features of the new Salvo line but I prefer the ruggedness of the Solus and the Solus lights are available in higher output and video configurations.

Someone out there must have access to lights from both companies, please help us out here since both 21W lights are comparable in price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom