SALVO REBEL LED's are here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RAN When looking for something relatively compact and trouble free you´re right with LEDs.
Modern LEDs like the Ostar can compete with low (10W) to medium Output (20W) HID lamps regarding overall efficiency. But they have some advantages over HID: They should never break down and have to be replaced cause of their extreme long lifetime - they only get a little bit darker with every 1000 hour burntime. They deliver a better color rendering compared to most HID bulbs and they can be dimmed from real 0%-100% when the electronic is done right. Btw they get more efficient (more light from less energy) when dimmed in contradiction to every other light bulb we know of. HID can only be dimmed down to 60% with special ballasts.

If u ask me - in the 10-20W HID range LEDs can do better, are cheaper, are very good focussable and last longer acording to my own research. I used my DIY lamp head underwater as a hammer for testing purpose and it still burns ;-)

greets,
MikeRD03

is the light beam at 6degrees in water or when out of water?

@chewslife2
On my privat homepage I have done some light comparison test with beamshot. There u find the other ostar based lamps available amoung some other lamps. (more to come soon including some 10/20W HID lights). Go here: Mike´s Tauchseiten (english will follow, soon)

Would be nice to see the new salvo light togehter with them - hope to get an answer from salvo here, soon.

greets,
MikeRD03

is the light beam at 6degrees in water or when out of
water?

That would be out of the water.

Any plans for a LED video light ?

We are looking into it, or at least a good reflector

Nice,
do you have a comparison photo of a 21w LED and a 10w HID?
Thx
Robert

Below is a picture of the 9 watt on the left, 12 watt in the center and 21 watt on the right

compare3.jpg

...cool! I'm in the market for a can LED light, and actually prefer the 'softer' (ie no death ray) beam of the LED's for my recreational/reef type diving......I find my existing 10W DR HID can, which works fine, is too intense for night dives ...with only one power setting @ 100%....and tends to scare/blind the night life...so I've been looking for a 'tunable' LED can light with multiple power settings.....low powers for night life spotting/high powers for an emergency/signaling situation......also want a can with a removable battery pack as although a fully sealed system like SOLUS uses looks appealing, the TSA and many foreign countries want to see battry packs disconnected/removed from dive lights for air travel, and I'd hate to have a $ 1000 - $ 2500 dive light confiscated because some local 3rd world airport screeners/officials can't easily prove the battery is safe/disabled.

Karl

Sounds like the 21 Watt was made just for you

Cool Just when Im in the Market for a Travel size Primary Light

what are the benefits of the LED over HID's

my requirements are for a Medium to High output light not a Fish Fryer for Nightdives
and Light Wreck penetration..relatively compact..trouble free...
I dive Keys and Tropics occasionally north east...
Thank You

Sounds like the 21 Watt is also just what you are looking for.

Barry

Hey Barry,

If u use a big forum like this to market your light - it is OK, but you should also be up to respond to critically questions - the one don´t go without the other, cause no answer is also an answer ;-)

greets from germany,
MikeRD03

Hey Barry,

If u use a big forum like this to market your light - it is OK, but you should also be up to respond to critically questions - the one don´t go without the other, cause no answer is also an answer ;-)

greets from germany,
MikeRD03

Sorry Mike, I got lost. What question did you ask?

Barry

Back
Top Bottom