SALVO REBEL LED's are here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have the light in time for Turks and Caicos, so I'll see how the soft handle works before I get Barry all wound up.

I'll have the light in time for Turks and Caicos, so I'll see how the soft handle works before I get Barry all wound up.

I think it will depend on how you use your light. And how you dive.

Are you diving a long hose and bp/w? Which hand do you hold the light in? Do you pass it off while venting your BC? Light cord over or under (long hose), if applicable?

If you're diving a strictly recreational rig, and aren't trying to signal (so it's just a big flashlight), and don't donate a long hose, etc., then the soft goodman may actually be a good choice for you. They're quite comfortable on bare hands, no doubt there... I used one in Thailand recently, and it was nice... except when I had to vent and could not easily pass it off. As it happens, it was just me and the guide diving side by side, during the day in clear water, so there was no one behind me to blind (I didn't get a chance to do any night dives). So a lot of the normal issues I would have with that setup didn't quite apply. Your upcoming trip may fall into many of the same categories, so you may be fine.

Local cold water diving gets a little different... fortunately I have a hard goodman on the 21w Salvo I use here at home.

Ron,
Recently it has been easy to get me wound up.:chicken: OK, the "C" clamp for the soft handle will screw directly onto our hard handles. All you have to do is order the hard goodman handle.

Barry

Its time for a battle because I truly love the salvo products but the Solus lights have really got my interest. I however do not have access to either companies lights and at the moment I cant afford a can light since my car needs a new engine.

The solus SU-500 is rated to be comparable to a 21W HID and the Salvo has a 21W Led so we need to get some pics comparing the two. The best comparison would be pictures or all 3 sizes but salvo doesn't have anything above 21W yet where as Solus has a claimed 50W HID equivalent.

I do Like the features of the new Salvo line but I prefer the ruggedness of the Solus and the Solus lights are available in higher output and video configurations.

Someone out there must have access to lights from both companies, please help us out here since both 21W lights are comparable in price.

Well, Solus claims allot that does not add up. 500 lumens for their SU-500 does not add up to 1500 lumens of the 21 Watt HID. 2500 lumens from their SU-2500 does not add up to the 5000 lumens output by a 50 watt HID.I have always felt and confronted Kevin at Solus about what I felt to be false claims. But lets not go there again. :deadhorse:

Barry

Recently it has been easy to get me wound up.:chicken: OK, the "C" clamp for the soft handle will screw directly onto our hard handles. All you have to do is order the hard goodman handle.

Barry

But is the C clamp actually attached to the light head? It's just a snap-on isn't it, not a solid connection?

That is correct. It does snap on. But it is a very solid connection.

We did the opposite with my wife's HIDs. Hard mounted a soft handle to it using the holes for the Goodman. I thought this was nicely thought out by Barry and crew so that you could use either the soft or Goodman in several ways. It the new LEDs do not have screw holes for the Goodman I bet Barry will look in to it.

BTW I have a new Salvo Goodman that is not being used if someone wants to buy it.

I dont care about lumens and light physics as long as the light is bright.

If you put a 21W HID, Solus SU-500, and Salvo 21W LED all side by side in a dark room I'm sure you will get 3 drastically different patterns and 3 different colors but what matters is which one actually is brighter not only on land but more importantly under water and even more important yet is in particulate rich water (silt, mud, etc.) If you really want to impress people and sell more products you should have the side by side real world comparisons publicly available.

My other complaint wont be a complaint in the future I am sure but I would like to see higher output LED lights in the 35W to 50W (HID equivalent) range.

As soon as salvo can build me an LED canister light that appears as powerful as a 50W HID but nearly bulletproof and with a long burn time (4-5hrs = 2 dives per day) and adjustable power levels I will pick one up, promise.

Hey northwoodsdiver,

those leds lights are on their way. Some manufacturers are building leds lights as powerfull as 21 watt hid for this summer.

The concurrence is becoming very hard.

My other complaint wont be a complaint in the future I am sure but I would like to see higher output LED lights in the 35W to 50W (HID equivalent) range.

As soon as salvo can build me an LED canister light that appears as powerful as a 50W HID but nearly bulletproof and with a long burn time (4-5hrs = 2 dives per day) and adjustable power levels I will pick one up, promise.

Check out SOLUS Submersible Products

Pricey, but built solid and has a sealed casing. Lots of interesting stuff happening in the world of LED.

I already know about solus, I was looking at them last year. I have not picked one up as I am waiting for LED's to improve (get any possible bugs worked out) and for lights to improve and for other companies to bring in competition so prices will drop.

If Solus made a tighter beam angle, longer lasting battery, more adjustable power setting, and proven High output lights I would have picked one up log ago. Salvo has done much of that with the exception of the high output but I see that in the future.

Solus lights are also a bit beefier with what appears (via internet imaging) heavier duty construction and a really nice light cord.

Another requirement now is the ability to open the canister (not for charging though) so the TSA inspectors can see its not 4 lbs of C4.

Back
Top Bottom