Salvo locking latch corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My light as well as Headhunters and the one pictured were purchased in the same time frame so that would make sense. I didn't notice the rust spot on mine until it was brought to my attention.

Note: This post wasn't intended to complain about Salvo lights. I am very happy with the quality of the light. And from what I've heard, they have great customer service. Hopefully this post will cause Salvo light owners to inspect their latches.

Thanks for making yourself available to us on the board, Brent!!

Radinator, I believe yours was purchased in the same time frame as well?

It's funny, because I had one rust through like the original picture, but the other latch on the same canister had no corrosion at all. So it's not necessarily related to care. I think they just got a bad batch of latches. They're great about replacing them, though.

Sounds good, I am happy to help.

Brent

Just seeing this thread...
Anyone who has purchased a light from me and is experienced this issue please contact me for assistance. Salvo will remedy any latches issues without question...

Interesting. I just purchased the same light that HeadHunter has, so I'll be careful to keep a close eye on the latches.

Also interesting, is that while I have not compared the brand to the photo posted (and I don't have my light yet, but it's en route), my Ikelite camera housing uses what seems to be the same sort of latches, and I noticed a little corrosion there just the other day. I don't recall it looking too serious, but I'll have to inspect it carefully when I get home, and perhaps call Ikelite. Don't want to flood the camera!

FWIW, my camera housing always gets a rinse from a bucket or shower (at beaches with showers) when I get out of the water, followed by an overnight soaking in the sink (sans camera) once I get home.

jagfish:
Just seeing this thread...
Anyone who has purchased a light from me and is experienced this issue please contact me for assistance. Salvo will remedy any latches issues without question...

Hi Jag,

PM sent..

Guess I'm lucky ... I've got a lot of dives on my Salvo (at least 300, maybe more) and no signs of corrosion or rust ... I just checked to make sure. I don't take really good care to rinse it all the time either.

My latches say "Nielson Sessions" on them ... is this the same brand that's rusting?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

My light has that manufacturer's latch. Don't know if they exclusively use them.

Glycerin:
I've gone through about 3 latches in 6 months

Glycerin,

At $10 ea. that could get pricey. Did they replace them under warranty? Did you install them yourself?

Back
Top Bottom