Salvo locking latch corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pictured latch belongs to me, I have been a bit busy lately working a repair job here in Subic Bay. The latch pictured broke during a dive and had signs of corrosion. The opposite latch shows virtualy no sign of corrosion. The light has and still does perform flawlessly. The light did not flood during the dive that the latch broke. Been getting a few dives in here after work, for those familiar Jdog and I are heading out to do the New York in the morning.

Thanks for the replies.

NWGratefulDiver:
Guess I'm lucky ... I've got a lot of dives on my Salvo (at least 300, maybe more) and no signs of corrosion or rust ... I just checked to make sure. I don't take really good care to rinse it all the time either.

My latches say "Nielson Sessions" on them ... is this the same brand that's rusting?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Same latches, one corroded and broken, one looks new.

I just got my 21w Salvo this weekend, so I guess I'll find out soon enough if the new ones still have this issue.

Ok, not much point to this post beyond my giddy excitement about the new toy!

After every dive, I would rinse the canister (and my Halcyon SS inflator) with fresh water. But there are still signs of minor rust on the latches. After returning from the trip, I would use a rust removing chemical (got it at a auto care center) and remove the rust as much as possible. So far so good.

Bought my Salvo lights around April of last year and both show minor signs of corrosion. The thing to do here is once you notice it, you have to take better care than just rinsing in fresh water. Mine have only ever been in fresh water. You have to have a corrosion preventative or inhibitor on them like WD-40 or a similar type of oil. This has kept my latches from advancing any corrosion and has eliminated most of the original spots.

I go to thier store every couple of months, I will ask them next time I am up there if they have identified if it is a batch issue or what.

Just my 2 cents worth

Chris

Well, sure enough, I noticed some rust on mine, too. :( I'm being extra-vigilant now, but it's pretty annoying to have on a light that I got a month ago.

On the bright side (har-har), I LOVE the light. Oh, and I confirmed the 4 hour burn time on the 21w 9amp NiMH lights this past Saturday. Four hour long dives (average time) off the Peace in the Channel Islands, plus a bit of surface time here and there, and sure enough, it died towards the end of the 4th dive. Close enough for dodge.

Good to know, though... I'm going to have to charge it during the day on 2-day trips where I do four full day dives plus a fifth night dive. I don't really care if it dives during the day in open water conditions, but I can't have it dying a few minutes into a night dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom