Salvo Closes for Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike_S
I could not read the deco stop thread as I am not a member. Is there something different or more informative to add?

Appreciated Anthony's candid and straightforward posting. Personally, I like my Salvo light and hope I can get service on m light should the need arise in the future. I also hope that the company which ends up with the current Salvo light technology continues to improve it over time.

Mike_S
I could not read the deco stop thread as I am not a member. Is there something different or more informative to add?

basically that Leviathan will be coming on line to sell, service and warranty Salvo lights and customers....

the rest of the thread is just 'soap opera' of what went on between Barry, Salvo, Halcyon, and their legal preceedings. (too much to summarize past that).

go register at Deco Stop. it's free....

I am not suggesting Barry didnt turn himself around but I imagine at times its hard to fully recover financially from something like this.

nope, it wasn't

he was doing great while in jail and when he came out

anyway ... there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. i am sorry to see Salvo go

for now ...

:D

so does this mean I can get Salvo lights for dirt cheap yet? :D

I sent my Salvo light in for service just before this notice came out. I got it back today. Despite all the havoc that must be going on in High Springs, they replaced the igniter, charged me nothing, and sent the light back with a note apologizing for them not having been able to meet the deadline they said they'd meet when it was sent to them.

Leviathan has my business, and they don't even exist yet.

so does this mean I can get Salvo lights for dirt cheap yet? :D
No. I have one of the original 21w (at least, parts of it are still there, which someone once speculated may have come from H), which now makes it a collectors item. Look for it on the Antiques Road Show...:wink:

No. I have one of the original 21w (at least, parts of it are still there, which someone once speculated may have come from H), which now makes it a collectors item. Look for it on the Antiques Road Show...:wink:

darn it . . . I knew I should have bought one while they were cheap, 1600+ . . .

As someone who owns a fair amount of Salvo equipment, I am of course disconcerted about this, but I am also puzzled because I have had some different experiences from what I read here.

Our shop started dealing with Salvo in January, and they needed to make a fairly substantial minimum initial order. I was a big part of that order, including two reg sets for my doubles. The regs were terrible breathers from the start--really bad. The shop techs, who had no training on those regs, could not get them anywhere near what they should be. They were limited in what they could do because they did not have the specs. Salvo would not send the specs. I returned the regs to Salvo for service, and it took them just under a month to send them back. One of them was OK, but the second was still a bit stiff. It soon got bad enough that I had to have our shop techs play with it some more. They did what they could and got it to a reasonable level by tuning it to the edge of free flow, but it is still not an easy breathing reg. (I use it as the alternate.)

As a part of the package, I also bought some bolt snaps. They started sticking before too many uses, with a tell-tale trace of rust emerging from the mechanism. The bolt snaps I bought at the local hardware store are far superior in quality.

The lights I have are fantastic, and my backplate is first class.

I know this was not a reason for their failure, but I am surprised a company that has such a high level of quality in some areas would be so different in others.

For what it's worth I own a Salvo cannister light that has given me some problems, it's very new and has blown two HID bulbs. I contacted Corey through the Leviathan website and he asked me to send the cannister lid and slug back to him for repair or replacement. From all appearances Leviathan is making good on their promise to honor Salvo warranties.

<snip>

The lights I have are fantastic, and my backplate is first class.

I know this was not a reason for their failure, but I am surprised a company that has such a high level of quality in some areas would be so different in others.

Perhaps because they actually make the lights while the regs and SS snaps are OEM'd from another company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom