Salvo Closes for Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like the latest dispute may be more between salvo and barry.

DIR Explorers - View Single Post - Salvo is no more...

(however, that is from Halcyon/Casey who clearly has his own dog in this fight)
Oh, the drama...:dramaqueen: There is no way for those of us on the sideline to know what is true, what is untrue, what is interpretation, and what is somewhere in between. Really, all we want to do is spend our hard earned money on a good product with good service. It would be nice it the players were all playing with truth and integrity, but the average customer can't possibly keep track of the scorecard.

I have always appreciated my Salvo light and the great service. I have listened to unsolicited opinions from Salvo employees and opposing opinions on the phone when placing orders with a different company an ex-employee now works for. I want to believe both while I'm listening to them. But really I just want to buy some stuff for diving.

I'm sour on the whole thing. My LDS (after years of my encouragement) finally decided to stock Salvo lights and places their first order, and they get that email.

Oh, the drama...

Here is an email I recieved one hour an 20 minutes after the salvo closing email:

Hello Dive Shop Owner,

This message comes to you from the previous employees of Salvo. After a lot of discussion, we have decided that there will be a huge void after Salvo closes its doors. We feel that it would be unfortunate for you to be stuck with the mediocre quality of product and minimal customer service offered by other technical diving equipment manufacturers.

We are starting a new venture, and over the next couple of days you will receive emails with updates and attachments as we look forward to going on line. We appreciate your patience during the genesis of Leviathan Diving Equipment, LLC.

It is very important to us that you are aware we will honor the full Warranty on all Salvo products. Additionally, we will be performing repairs and upgrades on other manufacturers' lights in order to help reduce your diving down time.

Safe diving,

Corey Mearns and Joel Clark
Leviathan Diving Equipment, LLC

Looks to me like they have every intention of keeping us happy.

There is some very interesting information in this thread on DIR Explorers. Check this out Salvo is no more... - Page 3 - DIR Explorers Scroll down and read the post by True. There's several informative posts in this thread. It seems Barry Miller has more problems than with Halcyon... :palmtree: Bob

But Anthony Rue and Casey McKinley both have a horse in the race so I don't expect the unbiased truth from either of them. As usual, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle :)

Agreed. I've been hearing this same story, from different people for a few months now, and it's just now starting to come out in the open. One thing for sure, time will tell. :D :palmtree: Bob

I'm flattered that you think that I have a horse in this race, but I quit Halcyon and left the dive industry a year and a half ago. I'm now a decidedly non-scuba small business owner in Gainesville. I do believe, however, that over the last four years this community has seen rumor and wishful thinking spun into an unreliable narrative of events. I was there from the start can can offer perspective that is sorely missing. Take it with a grain of salt if you want, it doesn't really matter much to me. I stepped off that merry go round a while ago.

-anthony

i for one found anthony's post on dir explorers informative and credible. for very selfish reasons i am quite bummed about the whole thing because i was about to pull the trigger on a salvo light. given what's going on there i am not so confident that the lights will be reborn under a different name since halcyon has a claim against salvo's assets. the features that made me want to buy a salvo light such as the completely sealed canister, the "wireless" connection to the battery pack etc. are unique as far as i know. therefore, i fear there is a good chance to be out of luck when you need a replacement canister with sealed battery. that makes buying a salvo light at this point too much of a gamble for me given the required cash although i expect that they will go pretty cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom