salvage questions open to anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok, I'm poor and I need to motivate my two boys who are getting tired of looking at all the inshore reefs weekend after weekend.

Sooo, I told them we would do things alittle differently this time. This time we would take lift bags and goodie bags and collect anchors, lead weights, shells, sand dollars, etc. and try to sell them back on land.

My questions.

Can somebody recognizing thier anchor (or other expensive item) try to take it back after I have retrieved it?

Where does one sell salvaged anchors ??

Where does one sell shells, sand dollars??

Are there any laws governing the finding and salvaging of items worth more than a few dollars, like outboards and such.

I don't expect to become mel Fischer, but you never know what you'll find ?!

I know somebody has to buy that stuff. There are gift shops over flowing with shells and sand dollars every where. Maybe Ebay ??

Dave.

If you find something with contact information, I'd say return it. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. I've retrieved several anchors and given them to friends - none had any means of identification.

Be aware that any artificats over 50 years old must be turned over to the state. I will look to see if I can find the state law on that one, or PM Cbulla, he may still have the link.

As far as selling, after you get a few, maybe rent a space at a flea market. Same venue for shells, shark teeth (maybe make some necklasses and other jewelry out of them).

Another place to ask would be the Shell factory in N. Ft. Myers.

I wouldn't take sand dollars while diving, they are living creatures

If they're white, they're dead. If they're grey, they're alive.

Don't worry, a little bleach will turn them white.

On a serious note (kinda) eBay had wrench that a diver brought up and they were trying to sell on eBay. So in an answer to your question, you can sell anything on eBay, it is just a problem of getting someone to buy it.

if you can't find a buyer for recovered metal items you could always sell them to a scrap yard.

ReefGuy:
If they're white, they're dead. If they're grey, they're alive.

Yeah, you know they might look like crackers, but believe you me, they don't taste like 'em.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I'm probably looking at bringing back an anchor I saw out there last week if someone else hasn't found it yet. Other than that, who knows. I'll let you know tomorrow night.

Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

And BTW, didn't find anything but some nice shells on 7-15

Back
Top Bottom