Salt Springs question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itote

Contributor
Reaction score
Polk City, Florida at heart, but my behind is in G
I used to spend alot of time at Salt Springs when I was a kid. I aint been up there for probably 15 years or better so I dont remember much about it. Guess what I wanna ask is does anyone think it's worth the haul to go and dive it. I'm not even sure they allow divers up there so I'm kinda in the dark about it. Any other suggestions for that neck of the woods would be appreciated too.

Itote:
I used to spend alot of time at Salt Springs when I was a kid. I aint been up there for probably 15 years or better so I dont remember much about it. Guess what I wanna ask is does anyone think it's worth the haul to go and dive it. I'm not even sure they allow divers up there so I'm kinda in the dark about it. Any other suggestions for that neck of the woods would be appreciated too.

which salt springs are you talking about, there are a couple in florida

Well, now that you have your ears on, Curt, I'd like to know about the Salt Springs that is about 15 miles above Silver Glen Springs. I know that diving is not allowed at either of them at the present, but used to be allowed at Silver Glen, and that Silver Glen was a really nice dive IF you were sidemount. Although I have heard offhand remarks about sneak dives at Salt Springs, I have never heard any details. Freediving the 3 main boils at Salt, it seems that 2 of them have going passage, though I am thinking that both might be kinda tight. So what do you know that you can tell me?

The one I'm talkin about is right there off of 19 in Salt Springs.

Hernando Salt Spring? ftp://ftp.dep.state.fl.us/pub/geo/web/springs/hernando_magnolia_weeki.pdf

Location - Lat. 28° 32’ 46.75” N., Long. 82° 37’ 08.28” W. (NW ¼ NE ¼ NE ¼ sec. 29, T. 22
S., R. 17 E.). Hernando Salt Spring is located 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of Weeki Wachee.
From the intersection of US 19 with SR 50 and SR 550 in Weeki Wachee head west on SR
50/550 (Cortez Boulevard) approximately 3.4 miles (5.5 km) to the intersection with SR 595.
Continue west (straight) 0.2 miles (0.3 km) west of the T-shaped intersection with SR 595.
The spring is 200 ft (61 m) south (left side) of SR 50/550.
Description – Hernando Salt Spring, at the head of Salt Creek, has a circular spring pool
with a diameter of 60 ft (18.2 m). The pool is 46.5 ft (14.2 m) deep. The spring emerges from
a cavern in limestone. Exposed limestone in the spring has a soft, chalky texture. Most limestone
and sand substrates are covered in thick iron-reducing bacterial mats and algae.
Another smaller vent is located at the north end of the pool. The saline water is blue-greenish
with slight murkiness. Several logs are submerged within the spring pool, and one of
the logs has the remains of an old platform. The spring is tidally influenced, and the size of
the boil in the center may fluctuate depending on tides. The spring run flows southwest for
about 1 mile (1.6 km) into Mud River and averages approximately 30 ft (9.1 m) wide and 4
ft (1.2 m) deep. Land surrounding Hernando Salt Spring is low-lying, and the spring is situated
within a subtropical hardwood and palm hammock. An underwater cave system
occurs at Hernando Salt Spring. Depths within the cave system reach 170 ft (51.8 m)
(Rosenau et al., 1977).
Utilization – The spring is undeveloped and surrounded by privately owned lands.

I think it's in or near the Ocala National Forest. I'm sorry I cant be any more specific than that. It's been a very long time.

The one in Hernando used to be called "Little Salt Spring" and is an advanced cave dive - very high flow, muddy walls and floor. There is also a Salt Springs off U.S. 19 in Port Richey, behind the Gulf View Square Mall. Deep and advanced cave dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom