Sailboat Sunk by Whale?....we still have whales?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, I must correct myself and offer apologies. According to news sources (as confirmed by another friend), it seems the skipper is someone I know, who used to belong to my yacht club, against whom I've sailed, and who I know to be a very skilled and worldly mariner. He would not be likely to lose a boat absent exceptional circumstances. And, my recollection is that he is beyond reproach. Hard though it may be to believe, he must have hit a whale or something big and uncharted.

Its not out of the realm of impossibilities that there was a whale involved.Not too long ago, there was a pair of orphaned killer whales around the pacific north west.One was reunited with family members while the other stayed orphaned.This one was killed recently and liked to "play"with boats.It did a lot of damage to different boats and took the rudder off of one.The boat had to be towed in for repairs.This one particular whale liked to bump in the hulls of boats and could always be found in harbors near moving boats.

hey people, you all never take me seriously!

Whales...they were seen, in July, they were not wearing thongs and the boat sunk.

A quick Yahoo search for Lt. Mike Rogan turns up 2 other rescues in Hawaiian waters, with the first one Nov. of '03.

http://www.kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=5172

http://starbulletin.com/2003/11/18/news/story4.html

Evidently he has been flying C-130's here for at least 3 years. It's likely that he has seen humpbacks from the air before. Currently the North Pacific Humpbacks are feeding in Alaska, but who is to say our NAVY's active sonar usage hasn't damaged the navigation ability of one or more of them. Or maybe it's similarly lost Humpbacks from the South Pacific, which would be in tropical waters this time of the year.

I want the Coasties on my side if I ever need their help. Maybe someone should surrender the bootie out of their mouth.

Kim:
Well - in the absence of clever what's left? :D

well.... you, Kim

:D

H2Andy:
well.... you, Kim

exactly.........we can't all be like you Andy.......

(but we better stop hijacking Catherines thread or she'll get mad or something....)

Kim:
exactly.........we can't all be like you Andy.......

i believe they would call that "hell"

catherine96821:
hey people, you all never take me seriously!

Whales...they were seen, in July, they were not wearing thongs and the boat sunk.
Whales wearing thongs? My goodness, how do they get them on their big ol' feet?

first, I get my SMB post pulled from DIR, and now I am met with skepticism in my very own neighborhood. It is tough around here. Seems the only safe place is the boating forum....

catherine96821:
first, I get my SMB post pulled from DIR, and now I am met with skepticism in my very own neighborhood. It is tough around here. Seems the only safe place is the boating forum....
Not true Catherine. I'm just really glad that contrary to popular belief they haven't all been eaten yet....:D
That's good news, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom