Safety stops when monitoring SurGF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've told my story before. I've been diving a Shearwater Teric for 4 years and run SurfGF on my home screen. Nearly all my dives are no stop, often aggressive, and about 5% are light deco, nearly always less than 10 min. I dive 2 computers, an Oceanic VT3 running DSAT and the Teric, running 80/95.

The only times I really use SurfGF is when I arrive at my safety stop with value greater than about 80 or to follow it after completing my deco stop. I have not had a surfacing GF greater than 80 since buying the Teric.

I very frequently end up at my safety stop with a SurfGF well below 80, in fact my average surfacing GF is in the low 50s. I nearly always do a safety stop, especially when diving with others. In Bonaire, I often spend the end of my dive very shallow and don't pay attention to a safety stop. I do my final ascent over at least a minute as the GF blossoms during that last 10 or 15 ft.

Before I had my Teric, I used to do a version of adaptive safety stops when I was very close to NDL. I would pad the stop to 4 or 5 mins. I also added several minutes stop after I had cleared my deco. Now, no guessing, use SurfGF.

nor to the PADI RDP,
PADI is indeed inconsistent and illogical in this aspect. Requiring a stop puts that dive beyond the No Decompression Limit by definition. The Flying section of the RDP gets it right and states two there are two types of dives: those requiring stops and those within NDL. Logically, NDL = not requiring stops.

You're no doubt aware the original RDP had no such inconsistency. It was only later that they seemed to forget what the word "limit" means.

nor to many operators
True enough, but tangential to the OPs question, don't you think?

PADI is indeed inconsistent and illogical in this aspect. Requiring a stop puts that dive beyond the No Decompression Limit by definition. The Flying section of the RDP gets it right and states two there are two types of dives: those requiring stops and those within NDL. Logically, NDL = not requiring stops.

You're no doubt aware the original RDP had no such inconsistency. It was only later that they seemed to forget what the word "limit" means.

True enough, but tangential to the OPs question, IMO.
The science and studies are clear that adding a safety stop results in fewer post-dive issues. People get bent on NDL dives all the time. My stance is that unless there is a very good reason to skip the safety stop, always do one.

How? I've been looking for this, but it seems I missed it?
It is the Clear Counter. It will count up from 0 when you hit 20 feet and don't have a required deco stop.

1684250294543.png

Same. Perdix AI. I don't remember seeing that.
I'll scan the manual again....
I'm the OP. I get a count-up timer where the count-down timer would be in OC Rec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom