Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be the article kmcneer is referring to!
I personally like the Zeagle SMB with the DAN SMB a closed second for multi-purpose use, but as suggested above YMMV.

I used to pack a Safty Sausage but now I
usually carry Vienna Sausages
They take up a lot less space and the fish and I both like 'Em.
I think they sell them at Scuba Toys and most of the other dive shops as well.
They have that handy pull top that can be clipped right to your D-Ring too.

Scuba Diver Magazine recently rated them a Best Buy for '07

Vienna sausages float too! 'Cause they're full o' fat!

I am sure the fish love them! That probably explains some of the fish nips on ears at CSSP, Frank!

John.... How dare you !?
I use only all natural, no trans fat, organic, hypo-alergenic lined and recycled cans of Vienna Sausages. They are quite meaty and don't float but in fact are slightly negitive.

It's the Ear Shaped Echo Snacks that are the favorite of Texas Perch which cause them to bite people by mistake. I always carry a pocket full of them too :wink:

Now .... let's return the thread to ~ the_original_flyboy

John.... How dare you !?
I use only all natural, no trans fat, organic, hypo-alergenic lined and recycled cans of Vienna Sausages. They are quite meaty and don't float but in fact are slightly negitive.

It's the Ear Shaped Echo Snacks that are the favorite of Texas Perch which cause them to bite people by mistake. I always carry a pocket full of them too :wink:

Now .... let's return the thread to ~ the_original_flyboy

Just be careful, V.S is a favorite of alot of sharks........:D...........GEAUX TIGERS........

:rofl3: LOL!
This is classic Frank! I love it!
The vienna sausages still float !
And I am not aware of anything in your gear setup that is hypo-allergenic or recyclced! Ha!

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. I have a quesiton. What is the closed-circuit and what are the differenceses semi-closed vs closed? I try to google it but can't find a good explaination. Thx.

closed circuit means it is closed like a float and won't deflate until you make it deflate. I thought some of the closed circuit systems had OPV's (over pressure valves) so they could be inflated from depth without exploding????

On open circuit system if not deployed properly can deflate once it hits the surface. Some have flaps that prevent this. I have the $40 one from scuba toys and I can't make it tight to ease in making it stand up as well as I would like. Maybe I am just doing something wrong. It doesn't deflate when it hit surface.

I am thinking to get a safety sausage. Any suggestion on how to choose one and where can I find have good stuff with good deal?
Looks like you already have lots of good suggestions here. In my mind, only a fool would dive the ocean without one, and some are lost every year for lack of one, but oddly many divers do go without. I've carried a Sausage and Storm whistle since my first trip, added a Diver alert and a mirror.
If you're planning on using it as a SMB at any point to hang from (shoot from depth), then closed system is out.
I hear this, but never heard of anyone who shot one from depth that burst. I shoot mine from the bottom of Santa Rosa's Blue Hole @ 70 ft after airing it a bit, and it's tight on top. We think that one would burst if shot full from depth, but no one has said they've seen it happen yet.

I secured a fishing weight to my 6 ft sausage that keeps it erect pretty well. I know that the larger ones can be seen further, but as much as I carry when I step off - all the above, pony, camera & strobe, dive lights, spare mask, I'm about loaded.

Oh I do carry a white trash bag in my BC pocket too. It can be used as an alternate surface maker at night with my dive light shinning up thru the throat, or just trailed out on the surface in daylight for overhead planes while I have my Sausage erect.

Comments...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom