Safety in Mabul/Sipadan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,
I just saw the US Consilate Warnings (Nov. 2004) for travel in Borneo, especially the eastern islands off Sabah....ie. Mabul and Sipadan. I know there were the kidnappings there in 2003 but I thought the islands were now crawling with army guys with big guns. Do any of you locals know if it is safe for a group of crazy US divers to come over to Mabul and drink, dive and have a hell of a good time?? (Not in that order) Seriously,should I be worried?????
Thanks a bunch
Susie

I was there about 18 months ago (around July 2003). The kidnapping happened quite a few years ago, not in 2003 as far as I know and the island looked ok. There were guards with M16 stopping by our resort in the evening everyday and the island seemed pretty safe. We had with us an ex US Custom guy who did not seem very concern as far as safety is concerned.

I visited Mabul / Sipadan / Kapalai twice in 2004 and did not feel the least threatened... Go and you will have a great time !

Scuba Susie:
Hey guys,
I just saw the US Consilate Warnings (Nov. 2004) for travel in Borneo, especially the eastern islands off Sabah....ie. Mabul and Sipadan. I know there were the kidnappings there in 2003 but I thought the islands were now crawling with army guys with big guns. Do any of you locals know if it is safe for a group of crazy US divers to come over to Mabul and drink, dive and have a hell of a good time?? (Not in that order) Seriously,should I be worried?????
Thanks a bunch
Susie
Hi Sue!

I'm a local! Don't worry about it, it's just a warning! Well! I take divers there for the past couple years, it's really safe. Like what ssra30 said, you'll see some marine pop by at the resort and boat patrolling the water, just for safety sake.

I would say, the only thing that I would be worried about is you (crazy Americans). Dive, drink & party! :wink: Hey! I'm taking some Americans divers there in April, I might see & party with you guys! Just bring me, Halle Barry if you can! :)

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed. :scubadive:

PS. Attached are a couple of my photos from Mabul!

I stayed on Sipadan in December and there was a visible security presence. There seemed to be a couple of police on the island (on deckchairs most of the time!) so a constant profile is present but not in a hectic way. An army boat came by each day and was patrolling the waters around the islands. It felt very safe and not at all threatening. Sabah itself felt very safe and friendly too.

You'll have an excellent time. I know I've only just got back but I'm still envious!

Thanks to all for the vote of confidence on going to Mabul. It sounds very similar to our experience to Lankayan last year. The army dudes would let us look thru their "night vision goggles" when we were stumbling back to our chalets at night. We found several of our "missing" compadres making out on the beach! What a hoot!
But we felt very safe on the island. The one scary thing was the dynamite fishing near by. You could hear it and once we felt it underwater! Very uncool! Do they do dynamite fishing anywhere near Sipadan? Sure hope not!
We will be on Mabul in mid May so I am sorry, sounds like you will miss seeing Halle! LOL!
Thanks again everybody,
Susie

Scuba Susie:
It sounds very similar to our experience to Lankayan last year.
I was on Lankayan in autumn 2003, there were about 50 soldiers on the island or patrolling around by speedboat;they were very friendly, they even invited us to join them for Hari Raya celebration which was great!

Does anybody know whether the military presence is still due to the kidnapping in 2000 or to protect the close Philippine border?

Gaby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom