Yes, our nightmare came true! - Recover well Sipadan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s so sad seeing the difference vs what I remember 4 years ago. Huge stretches of coral rubble at south point :( We found a piece of the netting on one dive and our guide spent like 5min cutting it free. The big schools of barracudas and jacks are still there thankfully.

I'm glad to hear that people and divers come together to help resolve this type of problem. It's been 10 years since I last dived Sipadan, and I'm longing to return.

Much respect to OP and everyone on the team that removed the net.

Thank you very very much

Here in the PAC NW...... we have the same issues of commercial and tribal fisheries that have no respect for the resource. These pics below are no BS.......other than you can't really see all the flies that are swarming around the rotting fish in the sun. THEN..... these same fish are smoked or processed and sold as "fresh"....

Plus, they obstruct their reg numbers and don't care because they know that the government is afraid of infringing on their "rights".

Enjoy your salmon!!!

I am fortunate enough to have my own boat and am able to hook (with a single barbless hook) process and properly care for the fish that I catch. My fish are cleaned, bled and on ice within minutes of being caught. I don't buy commercial fish because I have no clue as to how it was handled.

O1gqElJ.jpg

Nggjf8l.jpg

Blame goes to all who consume seafood...including most divers!
Are you suggesting that commercial fishing should be banned?
What is your solution to the unemployed fishermen?

For someone claimed to be living in Thailand!!!!

Are you suggesting that commercial fishing should be banned?
No. There are responsible and accountable commercial fisherman and fisheries.
What is your solution to the unemployed fishermen?
My solution to the fishermen in the photos above being unemployed is the same as I feel for any criminal that becomes unemployed.
For someone claimed to be living in Thailand!!!!
Not sure what this means but I am not from Thailand. ...... but sure would love to visit!

No. There are responsible and accountable commercial fisherman and fisheries.

My solution to the fishermen in the photos above being unemployed is the same as I feel for any criminal that becomes unemployed.

Not sure what this means but I am not from Thailand. ...... but sure would love to visit!
"Blame goes to all who consume SEAFOOD".
What is considered as "seafood"?
Responsible and accountable commercial catch would be waste of effort/time because all consumers are too be blamed for eating it.
Remind me of "no bread eat cake".

A lot of livelihood are directly/indirectly involved with seafood industry.

Thailand is a lovely country to visit above or below water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom