Safety equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCMG

Reaction score
Hi there
I’m not a diver, but have just signed-up (after a ridiculous amount of pestering!) my teenage kids for a course at school. They are really excited, but my wife still has reservations about safety – I attempted to cool her down by doing a few Internet searches for ‘diving safety’ and the like. I found a heck of a lot on safety ‘procedures’, but not a lot on safety ‘equipment’. I’m sure we will get a stack of good information from the school/instructors once the kids get started – however, it would be much appreciated if anyone would give me a quick run down on what safety gadgets (basic/fancy/cheap/expensive) you can get for diving?
TIA

DCMG once bubbled...
I found a heck of a lot on safety ‘procedures’, but not a lot on safety ‘equipment’. I’m sure we will get a stack of good information from the school/instructors once the kids get started – however, it would be much appreciated if anyone would give me a quick run down on what safety gadgets (basic/fancy/cheap/expensive) you can get for diving?
TIA
The trouble you are having with your search is probably because almost all diving equipment is SAFETY equipment. Possible exceptions would be camera, etc. Your mask, snorkle, Bouyancy compensator, regulator, tank (size), knife, neoprene, what type of gas you breath... it is all designed to make a diver safer. However, the biggest items to ensure a safe dive are your attitude, skills and a responsible dive buddy. Not necessarily in that order. Hope this helps a little.

well... other than the gear "required" to go underwater... ie. regulator, backup reg/octo, bc, exposure protection (wet or drysuit, gloves, hood), mask, etc. , it depends on the type of diving you are doing.

All dives: small knife, emt shears, or both. Small flashlight, Signaling devices: whistle as a min. dive alert is better. Safety sausage. Bottom timer, watch, computer. Dive tables (and an understanding about them). Compass (wrist mounted).

Shore dives: flag on a float, rope attached to float... drag along behind you.

Night dives: light on your flag (see above), 2 lights with you (pri. and backup), marker light on your tank (non-flashing, please).

Boat Dives: throw away the whistle above and get a dive alert (loud horn that attaches to your LP hose)

Then you can also have wreck reels, finger spool, lift bag, backup mask... depends on the when, where, how, etc.

I might have missed some things off the top of my head.

first off... they aren't... they are unsafety gadgets... but they do come in a wide variety of colors, styles & prices.

Avoid them.

As for safety in scuba diving... in order of importance:

1. the right mindset.
2. the proper training.
3. correct proceedures including buddy diving.
4. well maintained basic gear.
5. continue practice of skills.
6. diving within your skill level.
7. continuing education.

Each element deserves a treatise

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
first off... they aren't... they are unsafety gadgets... but they do come in a wide variety of colors, styles & prices.

Avoid them.

As for safety in scuba diving... in order of importance:

1. the right mindset.
2. the proper training.
3. correct proceedures including buddy diving.
4. well maintained basic gear.
5. continue practice of skills.
6. diving within your skill level.
7. continuing education.

Each element deserves a treatise

I think he just used the wrong word.... "gadgets". Did I miss anything in the basic gear I listed above that might help him??

Other than training... I realize I didn't mention that... even though it is the most important.

raxafarian once bubbled...
I think he just used the wrong word.... "gadgets". Did I miss anything in the basic gear I listed above that might help him??

Other than training... I realize I didn't mention that... even though it is the most important.
Words betray mindset.
And the most important is mindset.

And of course my goal is to adjust mindset... by using words.

Anyway... rax, I just like to lay things out in outline form for proper cogitatin'...

Why don't you hang some meat on the skeleton in my post.

could be a couple of landmines in that skeleton... I'll try and avoid 'em ...

1. Mindset: Why are you diving? What do you want to accomplish? Are you comfortable in/under the water. Can you be aware of your surroundings? Aware of your equipment? Aware of your buddy... in other words, pay attention to everything that is going on with you and around you. You've planned your dive, so now relax, and dive your plan.

2. Proper training::boom:
Without getting into different agencies... Most important thing to consider is the instructor. How many dives does he/she have? And do NOT count training dives. Are they actively diving ... again.. non-training dives. What type of diving do they do? How long have they been diving. What type of training do they have? Ask for references, or ask friends/family who they used. Ask them if they were satisfied with the training they received... did they get enough in water time? Did they feel rushed? Were they shown good buddy skills, buoyancy control, emergency proceedures?

Didn't want to set any landmines off... but in reference to the above question "were you satisfied with your training". A year ago, I would have said yes. Now I would say no. There is so much that isn't taught at your average open water class.... YES, there are exceptions... I was not taught good buoyancy control, horizontal descents/ascents. , and many other basic skills. Some of the proceedures we were taught, I no longer agree with... So, basically, I am not happy with the training I received.

I would have to say, for the most part... most agencies are very similar. You need to find an instructor that teaches the things you want to be taught... and this is very hard for the new diver that doesn't know WHAT they want to be taught...

what the hell... I'll set it off.... Buy a copy of the DIR fundamentals book. Even if you disagree with almost everything in the book, you will at least have been exposed to different skills and techniques that just are not taught at the majority of classes. You will see what training should be required.

I'll let somebody else fill in some more...

I would make number six, number four and maybe even number three. But that's just me. All in all a very good list.

raxafarian once bubbled...
could be a couple of landmines in that skeleton... I'll try and avoid 'em ...
..but then you got religion into it Rax :wink:

Just kidding of course.... and anyone who has been on this board for any length of time (2 hours should do) will know where I stand on DIR. :D

It is just too bad that the opportunity to take a DIRf is limited at present.

At any rate proper training for OW can be had from most agencies so lets move onto #3 without getting into an open brawl.

:D :boom: :boom:

{OK Mr. Mike, throw some meat at the skeleton}

I agree with Pug that some gadgets, particularly the noisemakers, are to be avoided as they give a false sense of security and, in a few cases, an added failure point.

Floats, flags, and such only when required by law. I hate dragging anything along.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom