Safety equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCMG once bubbled...
I’m not a diver, but have just signed-up my teenage kids for a course at school.
Something just occured to me that I would like you to consider:

Perhaps the best way for you to enhance the safety of your children as they take up diving... would to take up diving yourself. Even if you could not take the same classes together since their's will be at school... you could go to the local dive shop and take classes there.

Wouldn't that be great! You could dive with your kids, and oversee their safety!!!

Normally I dont repeat an answer given earlier....but in this case... it can not be said enough.

No safety equipment will save you if you have the wrong attitude about diving. Diving can kill you. Dont let any money hungry instructor tell you different. Training is critical. State of mind in an emergency situation can mean the difference between life and death. If your kids arent ready for that kind of responsibility... just let them keep nagging you.

The idea of diving with your kids is ok, but as a parent myself I know there is no way I can do all the dangerous things my kid does or will do. So, be sure you have a very safety concious instructor and MAKE your kids practice their skills in a pool between dives.

for what is was worth...

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Perhaps the best way for you to enhance the safety of your children as they take up diving... would to take up diving yourself. Even if you could not take the same classes together since their's will be at school... you could go to the local dive shop and take classes there.

Wouldn't that be great! You could dive with your kids, and oversee their safety!!!

U/P is right on. I got certified with my kids this year. Not only do you get to spend time with your teenagers (Amazing in itself), you learn how to be safe. You will also be able to discern the truth as they tell you things like "Gee dad, the only way to be safe is for you to buy me this $900.00 dive computer".

And oh, by the way - It's a lot of fun.

Jeff:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom