Safety equipment - PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until a gang of white tips show up. Lol

Some more reading about our presence in the Indo Pacific. See pages 11-13. The US is beefing up its presence over there. Which will include Coast Guard stations and cutters at US Territories to protect our EEZ's.

https://www.uscg.mil/seniorleadership/DOCS/CS21R_Final.pdf

Sounds good to me. The Chinese aggression in South China Sea is kind of helping the SEA nations to get the US Navy to fend off the Chinese & let the US Navy cruising that area.

Back to the shark, here is an article written by an Expat in Indonesia about sharks: Shark Attack! - Indonesia Expat

Which Indo authorities and how would he contact them and get them to move their collective asses?

Just asking....

- Bill

Fist thing, my brother would probably contact the US Embassy in Jakarta & follow up with the Indonesian Search & Rescue Agency, Basarnas (Badan Search And Rescue Nasional) National Search and Rescue Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That link has bunch of contact info for specific provinces.

I have never been in such situation (fingers' crossed), so if anyone here have gone through such situation, please chime in & shine us some lights.
Emergencies Abroad

Emergency Contact Information for U.S. Citizens | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Indonesia
---------------
PLB Registration:
(Registrations | ACR ARTEX)
INDONESIA

Reference Website
http://www.cospas-sarsat.com

Responsible Agency
National SAR Agency of Indonesia

Phone (6221) 65701152)

Fax (6221) 65701152)

Email basarnas@basarnas.go.id

Mailing Address Head of BASARNAS, Jl. Agkasa Blok B.15 KAV 2-3 Jakarta 10720 Indonesia
----------

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Sharks are sharks. Mostly harmless. I had one with me on a dive Monday. And a gang of them a couple weeks ago.

My buddy almost got bit though Monday. After stringing a fish he turned around to find a 10 ft. Amped up Bull charging him. He tried to poke it with the shaft still unloaded in his hand and the shark bit it and shook his head like a dog. Needless to say my buddy got out of the water.

Here's a real story for you though. Sad.

Shark Attack! | Gilliam

I'm glad there are no Great White shark in tropical water. I guess the water is too warm for them. I haven't heard about Bull sharks nor Tiger sharks swimming around in Indonesian water either. The white-tip, black-tip, nurse, bamboo, walking, wobeggong & other reef sharks I have seen are mostly shy of divers. Some shark did attack some surfers in Bali occasionally.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-s...i/news-story/a127fb32f737bf4e7f67e36a300c6f03

Sharks are sharks. Mostly harmless. I had one with me on a dive Monday. And a gang of them a couple weeks ago.

My buddy almost got bit though Monday. After stringing a fish he turned around to find a 10 ft. Amped up Bull charging him. He tried to poke it with the shaft still unloaded in his hand and the shark bit it and shook his head like a dog. Needless to say my buddy got out of the water.

Here's a real story for you though. Sad.

Shark Attack! | Gilliam

Wow! Very sad. It's amazing how he survived a 400' free ascent. I better keep an eye on oceanic whitetip sharks.

I can relate the greenish color of blood at the deep water. I saw it myself blood coming out of my left index finger when it accidentally touched a sharp hard coral as I came out of the Son of Rock Monster tight tunnel at 126' deep in Cayman Brac. After that dive, the DM let me wore a glove on that hand, like Michael Jackson. This was in July 2005 my dive # 15, so my buoyancy control still sucked.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the HDVSEATEK canister for a PLB. If you scroll down the page, you will see that it comes with what it calls a "topside carry pouch." It does. That pouch comes with a sticker that says it is not for under water use. It sure as heck looks like it is intended for underwater use, and I am struggling to think of the best way to carry it if I do not use that pouch. It looks like I should just thread the right side of my back plate harness through the loop that is obviously intended for a belt that size.

Does anyone know what is up with that?

I wonder if it is similar to the warning provided by Thermo for its valves, the one that says they cannot ever be used with oxygen percentages greater than 40%. All the Thermo valves say that, and most of the technical divers I know use Thermo valves for their decompression bottles, with oxygen percentages up to 100%. When I called Thermo to ask about it, he confirmed that there was nothing I could do to those valves to make then oxygen compatible, but as he talked I could almost hear him winking; I could sense the fingers crossed behind the back. It was patently obvious that it was an insurance thing--if a tank with high oxygen content exploded, they did not want to be involved in the lawsuit.

I wonder if the problem is fear of a lawsuit should a diver be stranded at sea with no PLB because the belt loop broke during the dive and the canister floated away.

Assuming those grommets are stainless steel (magnet test), I'd take it in the water. Kind of an odd disclaimer. Sounds like a CYOA warning to me. Of course it has a spot to tie a snap too, so you could use that as well for a little insurance. Maybe one of those coil lanyards that Piranaha Dive Mfg. sells for a couple bucks. Tuck the coil in the bag and snap the canister to your rig. If it broke, it won't go far.

Again, one of the original first, most simple and proven PLB/Dive Canister container solutions that has served me for close to ten years:

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/down...-Dive-Container-Instruction-Sheet.pdf?did=371
McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot
McMurdo Fastfind Max-G PLB - Star Marine Depot

Pro:
-The easiest most convenient PLB/Dive Canister solution. No mixing & matching different manufacturers' products, wondering about "fit & form" compatibility or modification.
-For US Citizens, readily available & delivered from any shop-online US store.
-Attachment point is a machined slot in the Aluminium housing in which 2 inch webbing (i.g. weight belt; BP waist belt) can be securely threaded through and fixed in place with a triglide or weight belt buckle.

Con:
-Size & weight, cannot easily be stowed in a pocket.
-Expensive. (But it will pay for itself obviously if the stowed PLB facilitates your rescue).

Easy maintenance, just fresh water rinse the housing, clean & silicone grease the O-rings and replace them every year if frequently used. And in nearly ten years, my Aluminium housing has never leaked, and the threads have never "seized" shut due to corrosion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom