Safety equipment - PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thermal protection is important but how long can one survive without water?
If I ever dive in a remote places again eg. Cocos Island, I will certainly strap a bottle of water on the CAM band.

My Dive Alert is attached and is never unattached. It's zero problem because of the connector/release. I leave it attached to my bcd when breaking down my gear.

I'd like to add that my father has lived in Indonesia for over 30 years. He wouldn't expect the PLB to provide rescue as expected because it's Indonesia. :p

As a US citizen, I'd expect a US ship to come get me if they are close. Preferably a nuclear sub to just rise up from the depths and lift my butt out of the water like an elevator. Or threaten anyone who's refusing to come get me with a cruise missle!!! Y'all better come get my ass, these sharks look hungry!!!
:sharkattack:

My Dive Alert is attached and is never unattached. It's zero problem because of the connector/release. I leave it attached to my bcd when breaking down my gear.

I'd like to add that my father has lived in Indonesia for over 30 years. He wouldn't expect the PLB to provide rescue as expected because it's Indonesia. :p

Same here. It'll be always attached to my BCD.

Apa kabar Chilly?

I still am going to carry a Nautilus & a PLB in my next trip to Indonesia. My concern is if we get swept away by fast current in Banda Sea, a pretty remote place with very few boat traffic. With PLB, at least the US ground control would call my emergency contact (my brother in USA) to start the search & rescue steps with Indonesian Authorities. I have discussed such lost at sea or lost in the wilderness situation with him & get him prepare for such an emergency call.

If you are going to carry a NLL, you should try it out with the Captain ahead of time. This ensures it is working, you are on the right channel, and alerts the Captain that a call might be coming. Every Captain I've done this with is complimentary about my having the NLL; it make their job easier in the event, mitigates potentially major problems for them, and lets them know I am trying to be self-reliant and not just assume the boat will be my nanny. On live-aboards, this works well; on 6-packs, not so much.

If you are going to carry a NLL, you should try it out with the Captain ahead of time. This ensures it is working, you are on the right channel, and alerts the Captain that a call might be coming. Every Captain I've done this with is complimentary about my having the NLL; it make their job easier in the event, mitigates potentially major problems for them, and lets them know I am trying to be self-reliant and not just assume the boat will be my nanny. On live-aboards, this works well; on 6-packs, not so much.

Unfortunately I'm getting the new NLL. The old model has been discontinued when I ordered from them 2 weeks ago. So, I don't know, yet how to test the new NLL with no green & orange buttons any more, just one red button, without sending the alert signal. Unless I can press the red button & cancel it once the alert signal is received by the boat. I need to read the new NLL manual I guess.

Same here. It'll be always attached to my BCD.

Apa kabar Chilly?
Baik terima kasih

As a US citizen, I'd expect a US ship to come get me if they are close. Preferably a nuclear sub to just rise up from the depths and lift my butt out of the water like an elevator. Or threaten anyone who's refusing to come get me with a cruise missle!!! Y'all better come get my ass, these sharks look hungry!!!
:sharkattack:
They will not be close...and if they are, they will not be involved...

The PLB guys (Cospas-Sarsat) randomly produce reports about all EPIRB / PKB rescues. The last one I skimmed through had only 2 US navy involvements. One was a figther plane that crashed during carrier landing, the other I can not remember. None involved the US Navy as part of the rescue effort.

I can not currently find the link with the really really long list of boring reports...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom