Safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm watching it live and it looks like Hawaii will be spared BIG waves. They're also at the lowest tide of the night, which will help. AND don't forget their healthy fringing reefs that will break the wave as well.

A friend of mine had to take a boat out of Lahaina harbor early this morning to ride the waves away from shore just in case something bigger came in.

we're all good here on oahu.

Some damage along Alii Drive here in Kona - quite a bit of flooding. King Kam hotel lobby had a foot of water in the lobby. Kailua Pier inundated. Honokohau harbor still closed. Quite a bit of debris floating in the water; furniture from restaurants along Alii Drive.

It's my understanding that at least one home on the south end of K-Bay was swept out to sea. Here's a link to a Big Island-centric take on the tsunami:

Hawaii 24/7

No apparent damage on the Hilo side of Big Island, water level is a bit higher than usual.

At the moment im more worried about the big sharks that where attracted to a whale carcass just outside Hilo bay and is currently hanging about.

Do any of you on the kona side know if dive shops will resume operation as normal on saturday? Had planned a couple of dives on that side but might have to rethink that now.

No apparent damage on the Hilo side of Big Island, water level is a bit higher than usual.

That's good to hear!

Do any of you on the kona side know if dive shops will resume operation as normal on saturday? Had planned a couple of dives on that side but might have to rethink that now.

Most of the operators are at sea right now. Many of the moorings at Honokohau harbor have been damaged, so it's unclear what is going to happen when the all-clear is given for them to return to their slips.

In talking with friends on Maui, Lahaina Divers took their boats out in the ocean to ride things out, so both Dauntless and Dominion are safe. Lahaina Harbor, however, took quite a hit with boats doing damage to the docks as the water went up and down by around 15' at a time. One boat got wedged under one of the docks as the water came up and did quite a bit of damage. A friend figures it could be upwards of a million dollars worth of damage when all is said and done. However, Front Street in Lahaina and everything in town looks good. The charter operations in Lahaina might take a few days to figure everything out, but they'll likely be back in business soon.

In Kihei all the operators trailer their boats daily, so everyone there should be good. Haven't heard how the boat ramp is, but since it's rock and concrete, I'd guess its probably fine. Kahului had water go up to a 1/3 of a mile inland, so a bit of debris on some roads, but probably not any worse than Kihei Road has faired from all the rain this winter. :wink: Everyone should be back to diving soon.

Just glad to know everyone is safe and Hawaii was spared anything major and no lives lost.

South Kona (Kealakekua Bay) did not fare well:

South Kona Raw Video

Also the shoreline facilities at Keauhou are essentially toast (no photo link, unfortunately)

Things can be replaced, I'm happy to hear that nobody was hurt or killed. I hope the reefs and marine life faired ok. Thanks all for your reports.

Back
Top Bottom