Safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the news, Maalaea Harbor took quite a hit too. A few boats were sunk and there's dock damage, but it sounds like most people took their boats out to sea to ride it out and were fine.

I'm guessing by the time I'm on island in a couple of weeks everything will be back to normal and we won't see many (if any) signs of the tsunami.

The Maui News has some interesting articles; or at least some interesting words in one article.

Maui News:
He said he and his sons often surf in Cove Park. Friday's walk through the area included seeing crabs and sea horses in reef nearly drained of ocean water.

Seems fine here at the southern end of the Big Island. I haven't had a chance to check on Ho'okena or other shore side areas yet.

Keauhou Bay took a hit. The FAIR WINDS building along with the structure that is home to SEA PARADISE, SEA QUEST and OCEAN SAFARI were all heavily damaged. There are two big coral heads along with three or four big tractor tires, chairs and junk up next to the restrooms.
The surge continued all day in the bay. One "surge" put about 8" of water in the parking lot at
1:30pm (1300) local time then raced out to leave the finger pier high and dry.
This can all be rebuilt and nobody got hurt to my knowledge. I really feel sorry for the family whose house is floating in Kealakekua Bay. They lost everything :'(

Attachments

• IMG00113-20110311-1321.jpg
    IMG00113-20110311-1321.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00122-20110311-1700.jpg
    IMG00122-20110311-1700.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00099-20110311-1133.jpg
    IMG00099-20110311-1133.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Our thoughts and best wished go out to all effected by the tsunami. Any news about Place of Refuge?

The park is damaged and closed for repairs.
Dived the reef just hours ago and it seemed fine, some debris, mostly leafs and twigs on the corals but didn't see any major damage.

We just got home today from a 3 week stay on Maui. We stayed at Maui vista condo complex, just south of the cove park and Kalama park. Condos and hotels to the north of us were evacuated but we were not. Bob took the camera to the cove/Kalama area and hopefully got good pics. The water took long time to recede, well past that big rock out in the water at the cove, leaving the whole reef area dry,with fish flopping around on the dry reef. Then the water would come in very quickly (a few minutes), higher, and cover it all up again...hopefully his pics came out. I will post a link from kitv.com with pics, esp. of Maalaea Harbor...

Oh and the Maui news reports of sirens going off every hour... We did NOT hear any sirens...

Oh and the Maui news reports of sirens going off every hour... We did NOT hear any sirens...
There is a siren in the South corner of Kam 3 park. Just across the street from my Kam Sands condo.

I assure you that the sirens did indeed go off at 10:23PM.
And 11:23PM.
And 23 minutes after midnight.
And again at 1:23AM.
And again at 2:23AM.

And then for variety, they also sounded the siren at 2:53AM.

At my condo they were loud enough that we were awakened each time, even with the windows and doors closed.

The sirens in Honolulu went off 20 or 30 minutes before the sirens in Maui, which is about the tsunami travel time from Oahu to Maui.

I'm not sure, but I think the routine is to give 5,4,3,2,1 and 1/2 hour warning from the earliest expected arrival time.

Yes, the same schedule as Charlie typed also happened in Maui Meadows, although I didn't look at a clock until 2:55 after the last one. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom