SAFE STOLEN OFF WALL IN BONAIRE / Important trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could add a few more ideas. we write down the credit card numbers, and CC phone numbers to call and leave it with a friend we trust back at home or put it where they can get it in our home if needed. If they get stolen, I make one call, and get the info we need to cancel them pronto. We also carry a photo copy of our passports, just in case. We stash money like someone already mentioned. Not all in one spot either, a bit in the shoes, some in each pocket, some in the room, that way they don't get all of it hopefully. We never use the safe in the room. I leave y computers home and use a Internet cafe or the resort computer to check on things back home. Same for Ipods games Etc.

What I find puzzling is that it is such a small island. Where do they fence this stuff? It makes you wonder whose cousin is doing the deeds, if you know what I mean.

sea nmf:
What I find puzzling is that it is such a small island. Where do they fence this stuff? It makes you wonder whose cousin is doing the deeds, if you know what I mean.
They fence it right here, on the internet, thats my bet.
That is, the part of it they DO fence. Its always handy to get a new computer and a few 100 dollars in cash..

RoatanMan:
Lock your room door at night. Use the chain. Balance an upturned beer bottle just behind it. Sometimes I just use a wooden chair- not to "wedge" the door- that's just plain silly. Place it balanced so that anyone opening the door would tip it over. Noisemakers come in all forms, not just electronic sirens!

Windows and balconies are tougher, but only because you have to bring along a spool of carpet/button sewing thread... the heavy duty kind.

Make yourself a trip wire. Knee level, out of the light- tie one end to the wall, the other end to... you guessed it- and upturned wine bottle. Don't forget that high window in the toilet- the one you couldn't crawl through!

personally, i'd rather not go to a place where i have to worry about making a trip wire or balancing a bottle upside down for a holiday. holidays are supposed to be fun and relaxed with minimal cautiousness and responsibility required.

and its not all about the money or the stuff stolen (we have travel insurance to hedge for that), its about the horror of having to go through such experience.

Ok, I am making my first trip to Bonaire January 2008. We are staying at the BelMar and have two apartments rented. I am going to talk to the manager when we arrive about security issues. They will clearly understand that if anything is stolen from the rooms we will NEVER return to the island. Also, I will boycott the island to all on this website and anywhere I see divers. Yes, the resort should provide good security for our rooms since I am a guest.

:no USE CAUTION placing to many details of your trip on this ScubaBoard. Don't provide the dates and details of the items you are bringing. Don't explain where you are going to hind the items in your room either. We could have the criminals watching this board and even communicating with us! Remember they have stolen computers to use.:no

BTW...I am leaving laptop at home...criminals.

I am going to talk to the manager when we arrive about security issues. They will clearly understand that if anything is stolen from the rooms we will NEVER return to the island. Also, I will boycott the island to all on this website and anywhere I see divers. Yes, the resort should provide good security for our rooms since I am a guest.
Do what you want, but it's possible they will find that approach insulting. I know I would, especially from a newcomer. They're open, friendly, welcoming people at BelMar. Once you're there you'll realize that it's completely unnecessary to threaten them.

BelMar has excellent security. His name is Butchie. He knows all that happens there. You'll meet him the 1st night you're there. If you arrive after 5pm he'll be the one waiting to show you your condos. And explain the A/C etc. And he'll likely be nearby anytime you park at night both helping you park (it's tight) and checking to make sure you belong there. It's a width compressed property, so very easy for him - or anyone- to watch for any unusual activity. Belmar is in a quiet neighborhood so it's noticeable even when someone drives by or walks down the street at night. Mostly you just hear the donkeys...

Daytime the office ladies can see the entrance to all the units on the streetside. And no one is coming in oceanside unless they're swimming...:)

We left our doors open most nights (there was a fieldmouse that used our unit more than once to keep from having to run the south bushes Iguana gauntlet) with no problems. We usually locked the doors when we left although I think we left the patio doors unlocked once or twice. I don't think the people next door ever even closed theirs all week - no A/C except in the bedrooms so the cross-breeze is nice.

Not that I don't sympathize with the OP as I think what happened to them is terrible, but I'd be more concerned about my stuff being stolen flying through San Juan than I would on Bonaire.

But I also wouldn't let the hysteria generated in this thread - a lot of it by people who've never even been there - ruin my vacation.

Even the OP who had all the grief seems more interested in resolving the problem by bringing it to people's attention than boycotting Bonaire - at least that's my interpretation.

But that's just me...

WOW! Indeed this is an eye opener, thanks for sharing and sorry for your losses and troubles. I like the idea of a portable security system, will have to look into this.

Trwmodela...Really, I honestly think you need to Relax.. You don't have to talk to them about security..I've stayed at BelMar many many times. It's a wonderful place, with great people..
And rest assured. Once you meet Butchie, you'll know exactly what we mean.
The man is a gem, is dedicated & a great asset to Belmar.

Thanks for all the detailed information on the Belmar Apartments. Now, I know why my friend picked this place for our group. He has been to the island before, I have not. But, I do have one major problem, I HATE people who steal from others.

Last September (Cayman Islands Trip) my truck was damaged in a 24 hour guard protected hotel parking lot in Miami near the airport. The parking lot even had a high wall with razor ribbon across the top. When I complained to the hotel management they said nothing. I asked them before I left it there for the week if it would be safe....they said YES. So, I will never stay there again...would you?

On my February trip to Belize I decide to take a connection from Fort Myers to Miami. Then Miami to Belize to avoid parking in Miami. This time the airlines lost my gear bag for two days and it ended up in Orlando. Also, on my return flight they lost both of my bags for three days. I now avoid American Airlines if at all possible.

I am not flying through San Juan and booked my ticket to avoid it.

But, I am parking in Fort Lauderdale for 17-days next month for my Nekton Trip.

Look at this thread and the pole.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=199200&highlight=bonaire

There are 1000s of people who visit the island each week, it's true that some get things taken but for every one that does there are 100s if not 1000s that don't. This island gets more internet press than the next 2 or 3 combined and one bad report gets spread.....the 1000s that have a great trip barely get noticed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom