Sacramento area diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, I didn't realize you were from Sacramento. And although Jason isn't diving much these days, he probably still knows about Sacramento area diving . . . as does Scott. I just gave the OP the names that jumped to mind. People often respond to PMs, even though they aren't actively posting here.

Unfortunately if your looking for a quick jaunt to get wet, your looking at Folsom lake or Lake Natoma.
I prefer to dive Folsom point when the waters low, and Beals point when the waters up.
You can always check out the rivers. I don't suppose the vis will be any good, and boat traffic will be an issue in the Sacramento river, I've heard of some nice old bottles being found in the Sacramento river.

Sugar Pine is fairly close and if you don't stir up the silt can be a nice dive.

... and some of our most active members live in Davis.

Do tell. I'll have to monitor your site more often. I keep meaning to come to a group dive and something interferes. Weren't' you doing dives on the first Saturday of the month for awhile?

OP, Folsom and Natomas are really the only places to dive around Sacto. Folsom is not bad around Dyke 8 area near Folsom point. Natomas is divable right near the rainbow bridge.

Do tell. I'll have to monitor your site more often. I keep meaning to come to a group dive and something interferes. Weren't' you doing dives on the first Saturday of the month for awhile?

OP, Folsom and Natomas are really the only places to dive around Sacto. Folsom is not bad around Dyke 8 area near Folsom point. Natomas is divable right near the rainbow bridge.

Yes. Unless something else interferes, that's our schedule. Our monthly dives are posted and there's usually someone looking for dive buddies for other days on our website.

Im in the Sacramento area and work in Davis. Anyone who will be doing any dives in the area let me know and I may go along.

Anyone know any good areas to dive in the Sacramento area?

I've heard that Morningstar lake in Foresthill is pretty good. 20 ft vis...

Also, if you don't mind the drive, there's Whiskeytown lake near Redding. 100 ft vis is one report that I heard from a diver that I know.

I was diving at North Fork Lake near Auburn.

Visibility is so-so. It's OK, but silt coming from bottom...
Easy entrance, facilities....
Very close to Sac (~30-40 mins).

Unfortunately if your looking for a quick jaunt to get wet, your looking at Folsom lake or Lake Natoma.
I prefer to dive Folsom point when the waters low, and Beals point when the waters up.
You can always check out the rivers. I don't suppose the vis will be any good, and boat traffic will be an issue in the Sacramento river, I've heard of some nice old bottles being found in the Sacramento river.

As for the Rivers, maybe the American in a Deep Section. Those might be hard to find tho.

Uh the Sacramento - even tho there's good bottle finds, etc, I wouldn't. I live on the Delta, about 100 yards away from the Sacramento River. Vis is about 0 I've heard and then there is always the "Delta Secret" as well. (Ton o' Farm animals around. We'll just leave it there.)

Just to clear something up sonoone males an unneeded drive. My hometown is Redding, CA and the majority of my diving is done in whiskeytown, the visibility in that lake has never been better than 15 ft for me on any dive and the best report I have ever heard was about 60 ft visit at a depth of 70 ft during the off season so there were less boats. Don't get me wrong, I love whiskeytown, but just don't go expecting to see out past 15 ft on most occasions. If anyone from around sac is planning on making a trip gimme a heads up, I just moves to David for school and I'm always up for diving my home lake :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom