Sacramento area diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might consider PMing fdog or boomx5 or darkpup. They're all Sacramento area. I think they mostly dive in Monterey and at Tahoe.

You might consider PMing fdog or boomx5 or darkpup. They're all Sacramento area. I think they mostly dive in Monterey and at Tahoe.

There are a ton of sacramento area divers on this board. Fdog is actually in Nevada, boomx5 hasn't been active since Feburary, and darkpup hasn't been active in over a year.

John, there are places around Sacramento to dive, it just kinda depends on what you are looking for. I've done Folsom lake a few times with mixed results. I've done Sugar Pine Reservoir a few times and I generally like it more than Folsom. For one thing boat traffic is limited to no wake for the entire Reservoir and the people seem friendly. There is a bunch of fishing done there and it is somewhat remote as far as emergency services.

Tahoe is nice and only a couple hours away. As far as life does I haven't seen a ton there but there are some nice structures.

Monterey is the general dive destination for most of us. Lots of life and an acceptable distance.

There is also the north coast (north of SF bay) that I've only been to a couple times. Different types of life there, from what I've seen/read/heard a bit more challenging getting in and out, but about the same travel time as Monterey.

One thing I've noticed is that all the places are about the same temperature +/- 10 degrees: Cold.

This thread proved to be pretty useful for myself as well since I'm moving to Davis, CA in a week and I'll be looking for some good diving once I get settled in :) Sounds like Monterey is the place to be! Good thing I have that 7 mil, but time to buy a hooded vest!

i dive Monterey and Tahoe but im talking about Sacramento area... Been to Folsom lake a couple of times but the viability is horrible and i dont care for it unless anyone has any recommendations. im looking for something more local.

I have heard of a few doing the Nimbus Dam area but I have never done it. I personally wouldn't do any of the rivers but I've heard of a few desperate people doing them.

Sugar Pine is just over an hour away and is the closest "reasonable" location I can think of outside of Folsom Lake.

In a pinch, diving negro bar, underneath rainbow bridge isn't too bad. You need to get there early to avoid the fast flow when they're letting water out of Folsom. Viz can be 10-15 ft. on a good day.

The dive shop in Folsom, Fish Eye Scuba does regular "drift" dives at that location.

Also, like Mikemill mentioned Sugar Pine reservoir isn't too bad, I've dove it once with Mike and the viz wasn't great, but it was acceptable for a quick local dive.

Last edited:
Hi EMT John:

My better half went to UC Davis and while she attended we looked for "sacramento" area dives to no avail. Don't even think about going to the Sacramento River. It's too murky, has too much traffic and appears to be moving ultra quick. I'm sorry to say that the only viable option was a pool in her apartment complex at the time.

You'll have to travel out of the immediate area to find anything decent or safe.

Claude

Hi,
really interesting topic !
I live in Davis, and the closer place that I found is Rubiccon Wall in Tahoe (2hours).
Monterey is a little more far (3hours).
I am interested too to find a place to dive around Sacramento !

So what about Sugar Pine please ?

Wahat about the good place to dive in the north of SF ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom