SAC'ed: A Study on Surface Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha ha ha, well everyone says its number of dives, but I have a feeling that there are other things that can have a big affect on it as well. Regardless of largest/smallest, I'm more interested in correlations and by how much these factors affect SAC Rates.

And yeah, I set the tables up to accept Liter/Bar tank sizes with meters in depth and also PSI/cuft tank sizes with feet deep so I can compare them evenly.

Ha ha ha, well everyone says its number of dives, but I have a feeling that there are other things that can have a big affect on it as well. Regardless of largest/smallest, I'm more interested in correlations and by how much these factors affect SAC Rates.

And yeah, I set the tables up to accept Liter/Bar tank sizes with meters in depth and also PSI/cuft tank sizes with feet deep so I can compare them evenly.

number of dives would have a bit of an impact i guess but not as much as frequency.

if you have done 1500 dives in 3 years then the sac rate would be less than if you had done 1500 dives in 15 years.

correct bouyancy would be more beneficial to sac than number of dives.

just my opinion

best of luck with the data.

The calculation for metric SAC is wrong. You don't need working pressure: (bar used * tank size) / (time * average pressure).

Being cold will increase SAC considerably.

it has both imperial and metric

yes i know.
i just thought it funny that a university student would think that the imperial measurments were standard and metric was not.

yes i know.
i just thought it funny that a university student would think that the imperial measurments were standard and metric was not.

in the USA, they are commonly called standard and metric instead of imperial and metric, since well, in the USA, imperial is unfortunately the standard

As someone who dives both warm water and cold water my SAC varies greatly between the two. Any study that does not consider that difference I question.

Last edited:
It's super easy to transfer data and results from SurveyMonkey into Excel or even a statistical analysis program such as SPSS. Make a convenient survey, create a completely new forum post, and more people will respond. At least I will respond. :wink:

I have to wonder why you assume that all divers are runners. That may be a convenient measure of fitness, but many fit people do other sorts of exercise than running and so could not give you a time per mile.

I haven't been able to run a mile in about twenty years . . . too much hardware in the various joints.

I am confident that if you were able to measure workload of the divers that the fitter divers would have a lower SAC for an equivalent workload. I am pretty sure that without taking into account the workload your results are going to be all over the place. The biggest factors that I see are relaxation and bouyancy control, both of which have a great effect on SAC rate. I am no athelete and can't remember running 1.5 miles in the past 50 years or so but usually come back up with more air than my younger and fitter buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom