SAC'ed: A Study on Surface Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatcampbellkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's time to break out those dive logs! :goingdown:

I'm conducting a study on surface air consumption rates for a college research paper. My goal is to see what factors most greatly affect a diver's SAC Rate by conducting a survey asking for limited information about your dives. Specifically, I am asking for age, gender, height, weight, if you smoke, how many dives you have, information about your earliest logged dive, information about your most recent logged dive and how fast you estimate your mile/1.5km run time was at the time of each.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By5AWfHjWba-SjlCYm94U0ZJQVE/edit?usp=sharing

This link leads to a Excel Spreadsheet I created for this project. I would greatly appreciate it if you would download it, fill it out, and email it back to me completed! Not that I am asking for personal information, but participant's responses will not be disclosed anywhere. This spreadsheet is setup to automatically calculate your SAC Rate based on the values entered into (for both metric and standard) and takes less than three minutes to fill out!

I plan to publish the results on what i find in the next month or two. Then you all can figure what you need to do to improve that SAC Rate! And if you just happen to get a friend to fill this out too, it would be alright... :biggrin:

I'll look into that, thanks!

I thought about trying to do something similar, but the problem I would have is trying to run all my tests and calculations on all the data. I'm sure there is a better way of getting all the information together though lol

I'll look into that, thanks!

I thought about trying to do something similar, but the problem I would have is trying to run all my tests and calculations on all the data. I'm sure there is a better way of getting all the information together though lol

I am a software developer working in medical research, and one thing I've learned is that if you don't make it easy for participants to give you the data, you won't have any data.

That's pretty cool! Yeah, I'm still working on a couple things, but I just wanted to get things moving for the project. I'll probably make a database on my server sometime and just set it up that way... if I can figure it all out in decent time :D

I know just enough programming to get me somewhere, it just takes a while to finally get there.

you don't need to know any programming to use survey monkey.

Since you are already using google... just use google forms for your survey. The results will be gathered in a spreadsheet.

the factor that most greatly effects a divers sac rate is frequency of dives.

lol....i like the bit where the standard measurment is not metric.

Back
Top Bottom