SAC rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am kinda curious. I can't remember from my Advanced Open Water class what is considered a good SAC rate. I did 4 dives last weekend and I calculated that I had a rate of 22 to 25 lbs per min. These dives ranged from 100fsw to 20fsw My numbers are based upon the output from the SAC whiz wheel I got during my AOW class. The total air consumed, time at depth, and the avg depth.

Paul

There is a recent thread started by Pasley that includes a poll showing respondents' SAC rates.

It used a different formula than the one wstein is used to, not that he couldn't use his info in the formula provided in the other thread to get a rate that would correspond to that thread...

Anyway, I was taught that 24 was the average.

SuPrBuGmAn:
It used a different formula than the one wstein is used to, not that he couldn't use his info in the formula provided in the other thread to get a rate that would correspond to that thread...

Anyway, I was taught that 24 was the average.

If I remember correctly, I was taught that 20-25 was average. I just needed a quick refresher.

Thanks,
Paul

If I remember correctly, I was taught that 20-25 was average. I just needed a quick refresher.

That depends entirely on the size and pressure rating of the cylinder you are using. The numbers you quote are most certainly for an AL80.

If you use a different style cylinder and breathe exactly the same, the psi per minute number will be different.

A more useful number is RMV (respiratory minute volume), which is your SAC converted to cubic feet per minute ... because this number represents the actual volume of air you are breathing, and remains the same regardless of the size cylinder you are using.

For example, if you are using 22 psi per minute with an AL80 cylinder (with a working pressure of 3000 psi), you can convert to RMV by first dividing the rated volume of your cylinder by its working pressure ... in this case, 80/3000 ... which is 0.0266 cubic feet per psi. This is called your baseline ... and is unique to the cylinder you are using.

Then multiply your psi per minute (22) by the baseline, which will give you the actual volume of air you breathe on the surface in one minute ... which is your RMV. In this case it's 0.572 cubic feet per minute. Not a bad consumption rate.

If you were breathing exactly the same using a steel LP95 cylinder, which has a baseline of 0.036 cubic feet per psi, you would discover that you're only using 16 psi per minute.

So ... 22 psi per minute in an AL80 is the same volume as 16 psi per minute in an LP95. So whenever quoting your SAC, it's important to also include the type of cylinder you are making the calculations from.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That depends entirely on the size and pressure rating of the cylinder you are using. The numbers you quote are most certainly for an AL80.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yuppers it was a AL80 with about 3000-3200 per tank. So my rates seem to be in line with the average consumption rate. I know I tend to suck so air in the first 5-10 ft. That whole transition from the surface to being underwater. After that point, I settle down and spend a moment establishing a relaxed breathing pattern.

Thanks for the input there Bob.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom