SAC Rate

What is your Average SAC rate in your last 5 dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SAC rate varies very little, if at all, between warm and cold water. What impacts it noticeably is stress -- This weekend, diving with new divers with poor buoyancy control and in poor viz, it was 30% higher than normal. Running a reel sucks gas, too.

Air consumption varies depending on my open circuit configuration, as well as activity on the dive.

Fun dives with standard 2nd stages, usually results in SAC below .5

Dives with Full Face Mask, usually result in SAC around .5 - .65 depending on the task.

Sledge hammering, hack sawing, or other strenuous activity (like spearfishing, lobstering, or shooting large lift bags) usually yields SAC rate as high as .8 - 1.0

In my last 5 dives, I've done all of the above, but my average that I use for calculating gas consumption on longer decompression dives is .6 to play it safe.

Mine is all over the place 0.96 down to 0.61

Mine too but predictable. Two weeks ago, I was in Bonaire. Almost all of my SAC rates there were around .45. In the local quarry wearing a 3mm suit and staying shallow, it'll run about .55. If I go deep (COLD) in the quarry wearing a 7mm farmer john, hood and gloves it will go up to .8 or so.

FWIW: I voted .5-.6 as an average but it really depends on the temp and exposure suit..

This a poll to see how diver SAC rate compare to the diving community. Please use your computers last 5 dives to calculate average rate.

If fact it does not compare anything :) You compare an average temperature in the hospital :) My RMV (This is what you are actually asking , not SAC) can be 0.35cuf/min in a relaxed slow swim. Last 5 dives we were mostly doing skills practices and a lot of venting and buoyancy changes and I estimated it was around .5 - .6 or so.

My SAC rate varies very little, if at all, between warm and cold water. What impacts it noticeably is stress -- This weekend, diving with new divers with poor buoyancy control and in poor viz, it was 30% higher than normal. Running a reel sucks gas, too.

I noticed when I was doing deep dives to 100' with my wife I was nervous as I had to track completely what she was doing as she was not diving much for last few months and my SAC went up at least 25%.

Today's dive was cold (48F), low vis (10') and high surge, with stress and task loading of doing my first ReefCheck California transect survey (and being buddied up with the instructor) in the midst of tons of kelp. Long surface swim out and strenuous underwater swim back in. So, I'm pleased with my 0.657, especially as I know I can do better with more experience at this.

Thanks to all for sharing, I understand that there are a lot of diffeent scenarios, if I wanted specifics I would have to specify diver profiles...I guess we all think everyone dives like us, but I've learned that there are a lot of different situations.

By the way there are 2 divers that are below.21....I would like to hear how they do that....it seems extreme....

Yeah -- all my big, strapping male buddies have figured out that, if they make ME run the reel, it evens out our gas consumption. The result is that I get a lot of practice running line, but I also always get to see the cave by one HID light, and swim like a madwoman to keep up with them on exit . . .

Back
Top Bottom