SAC Rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a SAC rate of .45 and leaving 500 psi in the tank a diver can get approximately 57 minutes at 50' and approximately 50 minutes at 60'.

the K

Soggy:
Assuming .4:

60 ft = ~3 ATA

.4 cft/min * 3 ATA = 1.2 cft/min at depth
77.4 cft / 1.2 cft/min = 64.5 mins

That's if you breath it from 3000psi to 0 (not recommended!).

.4 cft/min... Nice! A goal to shoot for. :)

Here are some more based on different SAC and depths.
The SAC rate will be the first number. The following numbers will be the depth/time based upon an AL80 with 500 psi remaining:

.40 - 50/64, 60/57, 70/51, 80/47, 90/43, 100/40

.50 - 50/51, 60/45, 70/41, 80/37, 90/34, 100/32

.60 - 50/42, 60/38, 70/34, 80/31, 90/29, 100/26

Fish_Whisperer:
At that rate, at a depth of say, 40-60', how much bottom time do you get out of an AL80?

I don't use al 80's, but if you do the math using a tank factor, it comes out to about a little over 60 min.

Thanks again, Kraken. I suspect that I am still somewhere between .5 and .6. The difference between last October's trip to Cozumel and this last trip to Key Largo, has been dramatic. Last October, I was King Of The Air Hogs. I could drain a 100cu/ft tank in a half hour flat. I think I'm finally getting my SAC pared down to the point where I'll be able to actually enjoy the dives. I'm headed back to Cozumel in April and I'm really looking forward to being able to measure the difference. :)

Don't worry, buddy, you'll zone out . . . !!!

One thing that can help new divers, immensely, is, once in the water, just stop and hang out at the surface for a few minutes, if possible, to regain composure.

All of the excitement of the dive tends to perpetuate itself unless controlled. Adds to shallow, rapid breathing and all of the resulting ills.

the K

The Kraken:
Don't worry, buddy, you'll zone out . . . !!!

One thing that can help new divers, immensely, is, once in the water, just stop and hang out at the surface for a few minutes, if possible, to regain composure.

All of the excitement of the dive tends to perpetuate itself unless controlled. Adds to shallow, rapid breathing and all of the resulting ills.

the K

Thanks. Also, in the hustle to get geared up, the excitement of hitting the water, plus if there's a lot of current or chop, it can all contribute to being a bit short of breath. When I remember to do it, I slightly hyperventilate myself before making the giant stride. Especially if, once I hit the water, all I have time to do is give the "OK" signal and then boogie down the anchor line or descend quickly because of currents. Every little bit helps. Also, when I'm bobbing around on the surface, waiting for the rest of my team, I keep the reg out of my mouth unless it's really rough out there. No sense in burning up air needlessly.

With the reg out of your mouth, I'm SURE you have your snorkel in ??? Right ???? :D

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom