Saba, Sint Eustatius (Statia) WinAir Baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering taking a trip to Sint Eustatius and/or Saba. I have read about some of the luggage limitations and other challenges with WinAir. If you've been to these islands, would you recommend taking a separate dive bag or would it be better to take only my reg & computer in my carryon and rent everything else? Am I making too much of the WinAir concerns?

As far as I know there restrictions are the same as any other airline weight wise, if they have no room for baggage it sometimes gets put on a latter flight. Never have had an issue nor have I heard of any issues from the many divers and dive groups that visit Saba. The other option is to take our local ferry the Dawn II which runs Tues. Thrus. and Sat.

We went to Saba in 2011 on Winair. We checked 3 bags between the 2 of us, each just under 50 lbs. We paid extra for the 3rd bag. My wife carried a small bag on. I carried my roller/backpack camera bag. It weighed about 38 lbs. I carried it on my lap during the flight and it took up the whole space squished up to the seat in front of me. Winair is casual about the flight. Sea Saba told us sometimes extra bags don't make your flight but they usually do, ours made it both ways.

Last edited:
you can always just take the ferry over. i would think the restrictions would be a lot less than by air. and cheaper too. we saw a pod of dolphins on our trip back from saba to st maarten. that made the whole trip worth it right there.

you can always just take the ferry over. i would think the restrictions would be a lot less than by air. and cheaper too. we saw a pod of dolphins on our trip back from saba to st maarten. that made the whole trip worth it right there.

But the flight in and out of Saba on the smallest commercial runway in the world is too much fun to pass up. When we went to Saba we seriously considered the ferry each way because of luggage restrictions and besides dive gear I was taking photo gear. But the plane connections worked out much better and once I convinced myself I'd be able carry on all my photo gear we went that route. The only issue was we did pay for an extra checked bag each way but well worth it for the time saved by flying.

Note that the ferry obviously doesn't leave from the airport so if taking the ferry you need to then transport from airport to dock.

I have been to Saba many times and a combo os Saba and Statia once. I had trouble once leaving Statia. Winair claimed there was weather stopping the incoming flight but it was a clear day. They made us leave everything behind except carryon to board the late flight. It took me 3 months to get my dive gear back and that was total luck. The bag ended up in Customs in Miami and a customs agent called me. Winair didnt' do anything to help other than sending me a check for a few hundred dollars after I sent them receipts for over a thousand, the gear was pretty much all new. If you don't mind renting I would rent although like I said I have made the trip to Saba many times with no issues.

I'll also give you my thoughts on the 2 islands. Saba is just great and if you dive with Sea Saba you will not be disappointed, really one of the best run operations I have ever dived with. Lots of good hiking and relatively large number of very good restaurants to visit. Diving is also great. Statia has very good diving as well but different from Saba. Glenn who runs Golden Rock is a hoot, very laid back. You feel like you were in the Caribbean 30 years ago. Not a lot to do other than dive. You really have to be flexible about eating arrangements but if you are not afraid to explore there are some interesting places. Ideally I would recommend a few days on Statia to get your diving legs and then go to Saba for the rest of your trip if you could swing maybe 10 days total. I did a week on each and although Saba is a no brainer Statia can get a little long in the tooth but the diving is worth it.

Do not chance what you need with winair. Winair will screw up something. Take all your important dive gear as a carry on. Do not leave it up to chance or what win air says "we did not think you need it", they actually said that. 2 out of 4 flights i ever took from win air, they screwed up something.

Wow. I'm glad I asked the question. If I take extra gear, I will probably stay a couple of days on St. Maarten to make sure everything catches up with me.

Wow. I'm glad I asked the question. If I take extra gear, I will probably stay a couple of days on St. Maarten to make sure everything catches up with me.

Our baggage did make our return flight but we did worry about that since we were flying American back to the US and they don't have baggage through check-in with Winair so we had to collect it and recheck it. We did worry that if our baggage did not show up by the time our a plane left there would not be anyone to collect it and move it it forward, but luckily it came over on our plane. We actually flew Winair to St Maarten on an earlier flight than we needed to which gave some cushion for Winair to get it to St. Maarten. We had about a 5 hour layover and took a 5 minute cab ride to a very pleasant beach bar for a nice relaxing lunch and drinks.

When we went we took the ferry.
That being said - we dove on St Marteen so we did not have to worry about the 24 hour rule.

Dove with Octopus Diving on the French side - the diving was better that we were lead to believe - not great but good enough.
Also Sea Saba (on Saba) was top notch and I would use them again.

The transfer cost between the airport and ferry was $19 US and we gave a $6 tip for $25 total.

Back
Top Bottom