S Drill Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose it depends if you consider yourself as a rescuer or not. The first rule of being a rescuer is that you never put yourself in danger.

I don't know who wrote that rule, but in my experience, it's nonsense. Sometimes it can't be helped, so you do what you can to mitigate the risk, and hope for the best. To assume that you can insert yourself into an actual rescue situation without at least some potential of harm to yourself is just wishful thinking.

(If you come to me OOA, you'll get a working regulator with the proper gas, and I'll deal with finding the secondary under my chin.)

I don't know who wrote that rule, but in my experience, it's nonsense. Sometimes it can't be helped, so you do what you can to mitigate the risk, and hope for the best. To assume that you can insert yourself into an actual rescue situation without at least some potential of harm to yourself is just wishful thinking.

(If you come to me OOA, you'll get a working regulator with the proper gas, and I'll deal with finding the secondary under my chin.)

I have no problem with how you decide to dive Ron. Our experiences tend to direct our actions. I think that we can agree that:

1. All Divers are not trained in the same way, so don't assume anything; and

2. Go over the drills with your Buddy before the dive and be familiar with his/her configuration.

Wayne

Hmm, looks like you hit one of my hot buttons when you quoted that "rule". I didn't mean to come on so strong, but I do think it's an unrealistic expectation.

I'm aware of that. What type of situation do you think you will be in if you give your primary away and your secondary doesn't work? You have to contend with a diver who has recently gone out of air with the only functional breathing source. As the rescuer, I feel I'm better able to "control the situation" if I have air.

I guess we aren't going to agree on this one, I think an OOG diver is going to be a lot easier to deal with if he has a working regulator in his mouth.

I think that you may have some difficulty doing a CESA if you are tethered to a diver who's comfortably breathing on your octopus. :)

I do believe you meant if I am tethered to a diver who's comfortably breathing on my primary. If they are comfortable and calm, then the situation is much more under control and a CESA most likely won't be necessary. If it turns out you don't have air, at least you've had a few more seconds to be mentally prepared for this.

Once they are calm, they can turn around and help you with your air situation. Easier to move forward with the controlled situation rather than try to back off of a panic situation. Uses less gas, too.

I guess we aren't going to agree on this one, I think an OOG diver is going to be a lot easier to deal with if he has a working regulator in his mouth.

I'm agree with you, but don't think he will be "easier to deal with" if you are the one without a functioning regulator. We can agree to disagree; no problem TB.

I do believe you meant if I am tethered to a diver who's comfortably breathing on my primary. If they are comfortable and calm, then the situation is much more under control and a CESA most likely won't be necessary. If it turns out you don't have air, at least you've had a few more seconds to be mentally prepared for this.

Once they are calm, they can turn around and help you with your air situation. Easier to move forward with the controlled situation rather than try to back off of a panic situation. Uses less gas, too.

I have had an out of air diver freeze on me at depth (passive panic). His buddy ran out of air as well and I gave him my primary and started to take off my equipment to do a free-ascent to the decompression stop. Fortunately help came before I had to do so. One lesson I've learned is that you cannot depend on an OOG diver to assist you, nor can you bet your life on the fact that all the problems will be solved once he has gas.

I'm agree with you, but don't think he will be "easier to deal with" if you are the one without a functioning regulator. We can agree to disagree; no problem TB.

By the same token it is also very rare that I don't carry a stage with a ppo2 of 1.0 for the deepest part of the dive :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom