Rx100 - III, IV, V?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I'd like to transition into something and I think the SONY platform is it. Question is, which one? They keep changing/(improving?) the RX100(xx) with "upgrades", but it seems hit or miss.... which is a smart way to go? What do I need to consider in my selection? I'm as green as it gets (well, I did shoot some film in the 90's - NikonosV, but limited).... I have only been playing (limited) with GoPro's over the last year...

Point me to what I should know....

thanks!

I am seriously considering the Nauticam and Sony RX100-V to upgrade to from my Nauticam S90.

My primary concerns are battery life and right freaking NOW shutter. I think the V has the shutter (autofocus) speed handled, battery not so much.

The Nauticam wide angle and macro lenses for the housing are the way to go. This rig should cover anyone but an all out professional or very serious amateur.

The other rig is the Olympus M4:3 or Panasonic GX85. Cost and size become a factor for no increase in autofocus speed but they do have a larger sensor, barely. Again these work well with the new Nauticam macro and WWL lenses.

I may wait one more year and see if the hybrid autofocus (the Sony RX100-V already has it) in the newest Oly M4:3 top end cameras bleed down a level or two. I just got my Nauticam S90 back from a full overhaul. It good to go once again.

N

do you really gain that much [in underwater photography] jumping from the III to the IV to the V?

the poor battery life of the V doesn't impress me, but in reality, 1 hr is a darn long time, and honestly, my GoPro Hero4 Silver is dead/dying by then too.... Looks like battery changes on the boat are a necessity....

do you really gain that much [in underwater photography] jumping from the III to the IV to the V?

the poor battery life of the V doesn't impress me, but in reality, 1 hr is a darn long time, and honestly, my GoPro Hero4 Silver is dead/dying by then too.... Looks like battery changes on the boat are a necessity....

Yes, the hybrid autofocus of the V means no more fish tails. The autofocus is as fast as a dslr, or very close. The sensor is improved as well as the additional focus points and hybrid autofocus.

Well, I flooded my Nauticam this last trip due to a rushed battery change. It was my fault. If you plan to do on the go battery changes the new leak detection system and vacuum pump make that perhaps practical. No more guessing and finger crossing. It either is or is not sealed and the vacuum pump will tell the story.

N

I'm liking my RX100V and Nauticam housing... battery life so far (in 42F water) is fine - can make it through 2, hour long dives. Haven't tried shooting video yet, and I'm still getting used to the whole setup (upgraded from a GoPro Hero 4).

I also have the Nauticam Macro lenses... HUGE step up from the Backscatter Flip system with the Macromate Mini on the GoPro.

I'm liking my RX100V and Nauticam housing... battery life so far (in 42F water) is fine - can make it through 2, hour long dives. Haven't tried shooting video yet, and I'm still getting used to the whole setup (upgraded from a GoPro Hero 4).

I also have the Nauticam Macro lenses... HUGE step up from the Backscatter Flip system with the Macromate Mini on the GoPro.

Is that using flash (triggering) for every shot? How is the camera strobe set?

N

Is that using flash (triggering) for every shot? How is the camera strobe set?
Prior to this, I've only ever shot video - I'm using video lights instead of strobes, and that seems to work fine.

Prior to this, I've only ever shot video - I'm using video lights instead of strobes, and that seems to work fine.

Oh, you just do video. I just do photos. The camera strobe has to fire for each shot. That is my worry for battery life. I use my GoPro for video, if I bother with video. Video lights will never do for serious attempts at photography. I guess they might be better than nothing.

My current S90/Nauticam will do over 200 shots between battery changes reliably. But I have to run the camera strobe set to manual and minimum output. This prevents my using the sTTL function of my Inon strobes. If I set the camera strobe to automatic so my strobes can be set to sTTL, then the camera battery goes TU around 100 shots or less.

I have the cash to buy a new setup, but I need 200 shots in auto, I might settle for less but I would like at least better performance than my S90.

N

Oh, you just do video. I just do photos. The camera strobe has to fire for each shot. That is my worry for battery life. I use my GoPro for video, if I bother with video. Video lights will never do for serious attempts at photography. I guess they might be better than nothing.

Have only been out twice and it's obviously a huge learning curve going from GoPro video to shooting photos with the RX100V in manual, but yeah, video lights are working better than nothing.

BJH00067.jpg BJH00092.jpg BJH00096.jpg BJH00143.jpg BJH00335.JPG BJH00255.JPG BJH00311.JPG

Back
Top Bottom