Sony RX100 vii with the Kraken compact WWA KRL-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sppplash

New
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, if so I just couldn't find it. I am wondering if anyone has experience shooting an RX100 m7 with the Kraken compact wet wide angle lens KRL-12? I would be using it on a Nauticam housing. I realize the WWL-1, WWC, KRL-01, or UWL-09 are the best and widest wet wide angle lenses. But they are also the heaviest and incredibly bulky. By far. I am wondering if the KRL-12 is a fairly decent compromise? Sounds like the angle of view on the sony would be about 90 degrees (or 21mm equivalent), which would be pretty workable for most kinds of WA shooting. I have no idea what the minimum focus distance at that wide of a setting? There also appears to be some limited zoom thru capability, which is a plus. Just looking for some feedback, if others have used it before. I don't think it's been out very long. Thanks!

As far as I can tell, this is not a true lens, but rather a wet dome, similar to Backscatter Air Lens (although that one uses an M52 mounting) and the Meikon wet dome offering. They restore the in-air field of view of your lens, but provide no additional magnification. For what it's worth, I own a UWL-09F, and I can't call it 'incredibly bulky' - it's somewhat heavy, but next to the 8-inch dome that I've been using for a few years now, it's quite compact.

As far as I can tell, this is not a true lens, but rather a wet dome, similar to Backscatter Air Lens (although that one uses an M52 mounting) and the Meikon wet dome offering. They restore the in-air field of view of your lens, but provide no additional magnification. For what it's worth, I own a UWL-09F, and I can't call it 'incredibly bulky' - it's somewhat heavy, but next to the 8-inch dome that I've been using for a few years now, it's quite compact.
Agree, I had the same thought about the air lens. Could I trouble you to post a couple photos of the UWL-09 on your housing (a front view, and a side view), to get an idea of the size of the lens on the housing?

This is on a SeaFrogs Salted Line A6xxx housing, which is somewhat bulkier than your Nauticam RX100, but it should give you the general idea.

1665291431810.png

1665291460383.png

1665291486617.png

This is on a SeaFrogs Salted Line A6xxx housing, which is somewhat bulkier than your Nauticam RX100, but it should give you the general idea.

View attachment 747593

View attachment 747594

View attachment 747595

Wow! Thanks! That is really helpful. They never show you what it looks like on a housing and so the size is hard to imagine without that. But definitely not an 8 inch domed beast. The reviews of it speak highly as well. Worth a closer look. Sure appreciate you going to all that trouble, it's a great help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom