Rusty Diver syndrome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to going through a refresher while my kids get certified!
Your refresher will be " piece of cake", you will feel like you never had a break after a couple of dives.
I loved teaching teaching people doing a refresher, very few if any had a problem, if they did it was little things that were sorted out quick.
Example: Some have never used a SMB, knew what it was, but never used.

I bet there is a lot of 'resort only, one a year' divers who would be in a tangled mess if they had to use a SMB, just saying.

You’re not skip breathing, are you? There was a fire fighter in my OW class 7 years ago. He kept skip breathing, apparently out of sheer habit. The instructors kept telling him to stop.
Haha! No. I was very aware of that when I did my OW class. It hasn’t been an issue. I never used to skip breath on SCBA. It’s only for emergencies.

Firefighter? I learned what SCBA was when I saw a couple free SCBA tanks pop up locally. Turns out those tanks aren't meant to get wet, so I let someone else take them.
Most of the newer SCBA bottles are aluminum wrapped with fiberglass. They definitely don’t belong under water.

I wonder what the Scubaboard record is for the passage of time in between dives. Since we are speaking of rusty diver syndrome.

Don,

20 years ago I used to laugh at my co-instructor on study abroad trips to Belize, who would put on a full wetsuit before going snorkeling or diving. At the time, I was in shorts and a t-shirt any time I was in the water.

Guess who now wears the full suit every time? You might find you need more thermal protection now than you did years ago. Aging makes you wiser, but not warmer.

20 years since diving...used to be a very proficient diver. SSI Divecon, many IANTD tech certs up to full Trimix.... I dove fairly frequently.

I've been thinking lately of my uncertainties as I've been daydreaming about getting back into it...... it's funny to me the things that I seem to have forgotten...things I just knew intuitively and didn't give a thought about.....

How I used to like to rig my gear. I used to have all that dialed in tight. Now I think I remember mostly but not sure anymore......

I'm in a similar boat, never thought I would say that! Having children is not good for your hobbies, at least not in my case. I never stopped diving, but the number of dives I do a year has fallen from over a hundred to single figures.

What I saw over and over again was that people who dived frequently (myself included) were really on to it. Quick to kit up, no messing around. Kit set up perfectly, everything to hand. Diving almost as natural as walking down the street. Now I find myself thinking, where did I put that, how did I do this etc. I did a shallow dive recently and in-water skills were fine, just need to sharpen up a bit.

By the way, agree with comments about thermal protection. Any fool can be cold.

Good luck!

I wonder what the Scubaboard record is for the passage of time in between dives. Since we are speaking of rusty diver syndrome.

My entry is from the 20th of March 1999 to the 11th of July 2021. That's 8149 days, close to 22 years and 4 months.

My entry is from the 20th of March 1999 to the 11th of July 2021. That's 8149 days, close to 22 years and 4 months.
So is this the forum record so far ? 22 years and 4 months

Sounds like the subject needs it's own poll....
I tried tried to make a topic for the forum record for longest time between dives. You would think the General topics or Lounge section would be right up at the top. I can’t even find those sections to post the topic in. Strange way to organize topics.

Back
Top Bottom