Rust rings on painted tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve gathered several Fabers and 2 Genesis tanks. Two of the tanks have bad rust problems and I have taken them out of my personal service. Should I remove the boot after each dive and try to make sure they are washed with fresh water each time. That is hard to do at some dive shops. Is there any tricks divers use to keep painted tanks rust free. And why does the rust always seem to start just above the boots?

You need to take a drill and make many small holes in the rubber boot maybe 1/16" . Then after each dive you blast water in the boot with a hose, so much so that the tank will rise up and spin in the boot. This is the only practical way i found to remove the saltwater and reduce rusting. A little late for that now however..

get your self a small hard rubber mallet keep it in the car or the bag that does not go on the boat. When you get back knock the boot off and rinse the tank and the boot with fresh wage then put the boot back on. Also galvanized tanks have less of a problem than painted tanks because the coating is a bit more forgiving on rub points and not rinsing well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom