OMS LP85, any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a chance to score an OMS LP 85 2400 psi steel tank.

Someone brought it into my LDS and the bottom under the boot was badly rusted. So I did the dive shop a favor since they’ve been so good to me, I took the tank back to my shop and bead blasted all the rust off the bottom and epoxy primed the blasted area. It’s a painted tank.
The dive shop sent it to hydro and it passed with flying colors. I brushed out the inside hydro stain with my tank scrubbing tools and now the tank is ready for a quick paint job with Awl Grip polyurethane two part paint. I will tape out the new hydro stamp area with a little piece of tape so it can be seen that it is authentic.
The dive shop doesn’t really want to sell it on the floor so they asked if I wanted it in trade for a few of my trick tank cleaning tools and I said maybe.
So I’m here now asking if those tanks are any good and what the buoyancy characteristics are. Do you think it’s worth it?
I know steel tanks are at a premium right now provided you can even find any. The only thing it needs which I don’t have is a new draining style boot.
This will round out my fleet to ten tanks.

Thanks

They are rebranded Fabers. About neutral when close to empty, and get a little butt light at the end of the dive.

I have a set, good tanks. Never checked buoyancy characteristics but they seem to match what is shown on the TMassey spreadsheet. Neutral when empty, -6.7 full.

good tanks if they don't get rusted. you have to baby them a bit if you dive salt water as the paint doesn't hold up as well as galvanization, so ditch the faber boot or get the hex ones that don't suck at draining and rinse them well in fresh water after use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom