Rust on Trilobite body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me, I need to find my replacement blades. The ones in all of mine are toast. I might just swap them out with the ones that DGX carries with ceramic blades.

Well, I did an all right job knocking a lot of it off with green scrub pad (scotch brite I guess) and then some 150 grit sandpaper. I can tell you what not to use - dremel with wire brush. Some of that is rust in the plastic, not just rust on the plastic, so we will see what happens.

This reminds me, I need to find my replacement blades. The ones in all of mine are toast. I might just swap them out with the ones that DGX carries with ceramic blades.
This reminds me, I don't know where my replacement blades are.

I have found coating the entire blade, on both sides, with silicone grease helps avoid rust.
Similarly rinsing it after every dive, and drying it in the upright position (so the water drips towards the base, rather than the enclosed 'cutting' area) also helps

This. I coat the whole thing before installing blade. Works great to extend life of blade.

Thanks for the reminder about the ceramic blade upgrade. I already put my replacement blades into mine, so I guess I'll order this now so I don't forget again.

Thanks for the reminder about the ceramic blade upgrade. I already put my replacement blades into mine, so I guess I'll order this now so I don't forget again.

I don't think the ceramic blades fit the trilobites. I think it's just the other cutter that DGX carries, so you can't swap them into a trilobite.

I don't think the ceramic blades fit the trilobites. I think it's just the other cutter that DGX carries, so you can't swap them into a trilobite.
You're right. I ordered the dgx cutter. It was only $16 for the whole thing.

What ever happen to Durashine? The use to sand down a car door, paint and x on it with Durashine, stake it out in the ocean surf for a week and when they pulled it out, MAGIC, no rust on the x they painted. I nee that on my dive blades.

I rinse my shears and trilobites after each trip and before the shears get put away I cut a penny in half with them if they break then they couldn't be counted on if I needed them.

Just my 1 & 1/2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom