Rugby World Cup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to read Aza's comments about Scotland vs NZ.
It pains me to have missed the match, but I was at the Scottish Highland Games with my wife's family. If any of them followed rugby, I'd probably have been accused of jinxing their club, as I was checking out some of the Scotland rugby jerseys while wearing Maori taonga.

Ponga rā! Kapa o Pango, aue hī!

I finally got to see the England vs Samao match. That was certainly a better performance from the lads. Nice to see Wilkinson back.

Now Tonga on Friday.......

True !
England is playing better and better.

(if only the blacks could play worst and worst... Did you notice how much less impressive they are looking when they wear grey shirts ? Even the haka looks ridiculous then...:D)
Historically, English won always against French in all battles, except in USA with La Fayette. :D

Tomek:
except in USA with La Fayette.
04.gif

And you forgot the last 6 nation's.
You also forgot the most important : Hasting. Since that time, the english are french ( just remember the famous Most Noble Order of the Garter sentence " honi soit qui mal y pense" : in french...strange isn't it ?)

So go back in Swiss and blow in your big trumpet, here's the real men's place : we are talking about rugby !!!

(just kidding...:))

And you forgot the last 6 nation's.
You also forgot the most important : Hasting. Since that time, the english are french ( just remember the famous Most Noble Order of the Garter sentence " honi soit qui mal y pense" : in french...strange isn't it ?)

So go back in Swiss and blow in your big trumpet, here's the real men's place : we are talking about rugby !!!

(just kidding...:))
I didn't forget Jeanne d'Arc, "Boutez les Anglais hors de France" (Pare English out of France).

Yes, Swiss are not good for rubgy. :japanese:

Hmmmm........not quite. There was a big difference between Normandy and Aquitaine!

I am Norman, not French!:D As for the French in the Order of Garter....English still didn't exist as a coherent language in 1066. In fact it didn't really become cohesive for another 300 years when Chaucer started "The Canterbury Tales" sometime in the 1380s. Even then English wasn't spoken all over England as evidenced by "Sir Gavin & the Green Knight", written at about the same time in the north of England, and almost in pure German.

AFAIK English is the youngest language on the planet.

Kim:
I am Norman, not French!
04.gif
If you go that way, I'm Breton ( just like Lancelot and Du Guesclin) , not french !
I see what you mean :pontvallain 1370, La Rochelle 1372, Cocherel 1364, Brossinière 1423, Baugé 1421, Castillon 1453, Formigny 1450, Patay 1429 were not battles won by the french against english, but by an enormous french army against few normands lost in a field ( and probably drunk also...)
But if you talk about Crecy 1346, Auray 1364, Azincourt 1415 or Poitier 1356, then yes ! thoose were real battles with a real english army...

That's the trouble with history, you always have to look who wrote the book...for example, it's amazing to see that there is absolutely no Waterloo station, and no Trafalgar square in France ! Not-any-single-one !:)

But, well...we are suppose to talk about rugby here...
Let's talk about the origine. Who ? W. Webb Ellis in 1823 ? Rubbish ! Nonsense !
The first match France vs England happened in 1351 : "La bataille des 30" , 30 knights in each team went on a big fight all together...France won ! :D ( in fact, they were all knights from Brittany, the half playing for France and the other half for England...)

( in fact, they were all knights from Brittany, the half playing for France and the other half for England...)
So they were all French?
France won ! :D
Of course it did.....duh!!! :D
What did they use for a ball? A head? :rofl3:

Anyway...the truth is W. Webb Ellis in 1823....obviously! :D

Back
Top Bottom