rubbers on tanks bands - on or off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've got faber tanks bands along with a faber 300 bar manifold. I've put it all together but was wondering do I really need the rubers, or more the the point does it make no difference at all?

Cheers

Alex

I have two sets of LP98's from OMS. I think they are the same as the 95's?

Anyhow, I don't have rubbers on my tanks bands, and I haven't noticed any funky rash or rust. I also dive in freshwater, which probably makes a big difference.

I was planning on putting some on after the clean and VIP this winter.

I also leave the boots on during the summer, but I take them off when things slow down. I think one set has a dark discoloration on the inside where the boot would be. I bought that set used and the the previous owner had some non-stainless hardware on the bands. The two sets are the roughly the same age, judging by the sequential serial numbers.

How did I know someone was going to say that?

...I guess they could be protecting the paint work. Other than that I can't see any real use for them.

The worst case is a combination of al tanks and steel band. You can see why...

I have had a set of faber HP100s in the salt for a few years now and haven't seen any 'real' problems. I aliitle bit of discoloration, but no damage.

Are you referring to rubber under the tank bands? That's not a good idea. There's a dive shop near me where a guy did that with his aluminum 40 deco tank. Salt water trapped under there pitted the exterior of the tank just enough to get it condemned.

My tank has a hard plastic "cap" on the bottom. Should I take this off, then?

Also, I asked on another thread, but I bought a slightly used tank that's bright yellow-green. Someone mentioned that they thought that color was for Nitrox. Is this correct? And if so, should I get the tank painted or striped or something, to keep it from looking like a Nitrox tank? Thank you.

Fish_Whisperer:
should I get the tank painted or striped or something, to keep it from looking like a Nitrox tank? Thank you.

Fish,

Painting your tank is a pain, so just slap one of my new tank stickers on there and it will prevent any confusion!!!:05:

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of air divers have yellow/green tanks, and I have quite a few nitrox tanks and not a single one that color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom