Royayl Springs Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys -

Last week Pat and I decided to dive Peacock.

We have been spending a lot of time practicing in the pool, and it was time for some actual diving.

So, off we went!

Turns out that Peacock is now closed to OW divers. Luckily, we found Wendy! How cool is that?

She gave us a personal tour of the Peacock system, recommended some instructors, and then took us to Royal.

Cool!

Royal is a small little spring that drains into the Suwannee. It gets algae blooms in the summer, but it is clear enough now to make for some good diving.

We suited up and in we went. We did a lot of drills and managed to set up off "silt bomb" with our 1st air share. Oops!

Pat did really well. She kept flutter kicking up silt in the beginning, but quick switched to the frog and then modified frog. No more silt.

Her fins are a bit too floppy to properly back up in. That was a bit frustrating.

Wendy spent the diving picking trash off of the bottom. Royal is a popular swimming area and the swimmers are not always super conscientious.

She got a whole bag off stuff. I got a beer bottle and some shotgun shelves.

What a great dive!

Wendy left after the 1st dive and Pat and I headed in again. More practice, no silt. Yay!

I was taking a picture of a flounder when Pat came over and got my attention. I swam over and, what do you know?

A water moccasin had landed right next to her. Really pretty snake. The snake was hunting and pretty much ignored us.

He stayed down about 20 minutes. He surfaced right after we did. Some of the swimmers tried to kill it, but I chased them off a bit.

What is the point of killing such a creature? The snake crawled off on his own without hurting anyone.

Turns out that Pat did not know that the snake was venomous and I got a bit of a dressing down for not telling her. Oops!

We had a great time. Definitely a good dive site.

Peter

Sorry that I missed the snake. I am glad that I got to dive with you guys and show you Royal, I'm also glad that I got to dive before all the locals started getting there.

Did you stop back by Peacock before you left? I did find out that ow diving is allowed in Peacock II only, the other sites in the park are cavern and cave cert only unless you are there with an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom