Royal Caribbean passenger overboard - no one noticed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to this article "he doesn't remember how he fell". The article says he was in the water for 5 hours but that he fell overboard around 6 am and was spotted around 7:30 am - so something doesn't jive.

Disney Cruise Rescues Man Hours After He Fell From Royal Caribbean Ship Off Mexico | KTLA
It seems that Cozumel Port Captain Alfonso Rodríguez was simply wrong about his 5 hour claim. To fall from deck 5 without injury, tread water for 1½ hours, scream loud enough to be heard on a passing barge, then swim towards the rescue boat is a good accomplishment.

It seems that Cozumel Port Captain Alfonso Rodríguez was simply wrong about his 5 hour claim. To fall from deck 5 without injury, tread water for 1½ hours, scream loud enough to be heard on a passing barge, then swim towards the rescue boat is a good accomplishment.

I agree, it probably just felt like 5 hours to the poor guy in the water!

The main takeaway from this story (IMO) is that there are too many cruise ships visiting Cozumel!

The story seems to be changing. In some reports he claims to have arisen early, gone to an upper deck, and been washed off deck by a wave. Riiiiight.

I swear, if I see this story one more time on the national news TV channels, I will scream. Okay, a lucky guy, but what about the Cozumel newspapers saying that he was totally drunk? (stupid guy!!!) A wave?....as mstevens says, GMAFB!!!!....yes, I get it that the newspapers are not always "accurate" but puhleeze..........I can't find the newspaper article now (of course) but that's what it said....and I guess the accounts of the ship being 21 stories tall really mean that drunk people do BOUNCE.......no worries----I'm sure either ABC or NBC or CBS will get an interview asap........stay tuned......zzzzzzzz.

The wave story was initially reported on the cruise boards I read (so weird that only one person on the whole ship noticed this 14-18 story wave...) but now they are saying that there is video that shows he jumped.

I totally believe he jumped. Whether or not there is video, that seems to still be crew gossip.
(However, if there is a video, it makes sense it was only found in review. Those ships have so many cameras there is no way they could all be monitored all the time.)

I agree, it probably just felt like 5 hours to the poor guy in the water!

The main takeaway from this story (IMO) is that there are too many cruise ships visiting Cozumel!
or that there are too many idiots visiting Cozumel

The story seems to be changing. In some reports he claims to have arisen early, gone to an upper deck, and been washed off deck by a wave. Riiiiight.

Have you seen the Oasis of the Seas??? We passed right by it on our fishing boat last May. I don't think a tsunami could reach anywhere near the lowest open deck of that boat. An upper deck? Cozumel would be have been completely inundated and the boat would have sunk. Riiiiight, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom