Royal Aquamaster: how much PSI is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it will work with a DA. It actually makes a lot more sense with a DA. The Royal Aquamaster is already balanced and only gains the advantages of the LP ports, HP ports and the heavier yoke but does not really breathe better when all other things are equal.

I am not sure on present availability. Bryan has done I think 3 or 4 runs at widely spread intervals, usually on a pre-order/pre-pay basis, and has never seemed to make many extra to just have on hand in the store. I suspect he may do it that way due to high production cost and low profit margin and no desire to tie up significant money in an inventory of Phoenix nozzles.

Yes it will work with a DA. It actually makes a lot more sense with a DA. The Royal Aquamaster is already balanced and only gains the advantages of the LP ports, HP ports and the heavier yoke but does not really breathe better when all other things are equal.

I am not sure on present availability. Bryan has done I think 3 or 4 runs at widely spread intervals, usually on a pre-order/pre-pay basis, and has never seemed to make many extra to just have on hand in the store. I suspect he may do it that way due to high production cost and low profit margin and no desire to tie up significant money in an inventory of Phoenix nozzles.

That's pretty much it.
Although I have not heard anything my bet is he will start another run around Dec or Jan. The best way to find out is to keep an eye on the VDH board and as soon as he post something jump in line. Typically he will ask for 10 or so committed/paid orders before he will start the process so the sooner enough commit the faster they will get started. Then you have to be patient, it usually takes several months to get the process done and as often as not, there will be a hitch that extends the time. They are worth the wait IMO, I have 2.....well one up and running for a good while and another that I have set back for a special project. In the mean time, I would suggest you get your DA up and running at it's best and dive it. All the parts you need rebuild it with the possible exception of a HP seat (and those usually do not need replacing- just resurfacing) will be reused in the Phoenix. Besides if you are going to install a Phoenix the reg really should be upgraded with new silicone parts anyway, might as well enjoy them in the mean time.

Actually, the AM I just bought is coming from VDH. I sold my first one years ago and have regretted it ever since. According to Bryan, he rebuilt my AM back in March and it was only used for a few classes for some high school kids in the Bahamas. I loved my old AM and am looking forward to diving this one. I will most definitely dive it as soon as I get it. I am planning to take it to Twin Quarries in a couple of weeks when my son goes for his OW. I like the idea of the Phoenix nozzle, though, because of the ready availability of new parts and the options it allows.

The other wear item on the seat is the supersonic airflow when the seat cracks open on demand. I don't know if the wear increases linearly with pressure or possably with the square of the pressure, but I know from personal experience that the mid 70's Conshelf seat handled dozens of dives with tank starting pressure of 7,500psi. (yes, seven thousand, five hundred psi). The Conshelf seat of that era was probably the same material as a RAM seat. Does anybody know if the DA seat was the same material and hardness as the RAM seat?

I would suspect that the larger volcano orifice diameter of the RAM would spread out the energy of the pressure reduction making for slightly less wear on a RAM vs. a DA.

Since the RAM and Conshelf 14 seem to have about the same seat, and the Conshelf 14 has a pressure rating of 3500psi to 300 bar (depending on the documentation), 3500 psi should be no problem at all for the RAM seat.

The early RAM (and early Conshelf) had a hard rubber seat. The very last RAM and most of the Conshelf XI and later models had a Teflon type of seat. I have seen at least two styles of Teflon seats. They fit and function the same, but they are much more reliable than the hard rubber seats.

The Aqua Master seat is a white or some times of white nylon type of seat. As far as I can recall, all the DA seats I have seen look about the same, just the color of the seat changes slightly. Some of the seat bodies were plated but not all.

Not to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering about this Phoenix nozzle I've been reading about. Is it still available and does it work on A DA Aquamaster?

This should answer some of your questions (about the status of the next production batch):
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Phoenix nozzles / Black Friday November 27th 2009

There is a section at VDH specifically dedicated to the Phoenix RAM. You should be able to find a lot of information over there. If you have a specific questions you can also post them over there and either I or someone else should be able to answer it.
Here is a link to the Phoenix RAM section:
Vintage Double Hose • View forum - Phoenix Nozzle Zone

Last edited:
Brian has posted information about a new batch of Phoenix nozzles at VDH

Not to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering about this Phoenix nozzle I've been reading about. Is it still available and does it work on A DA Aquamaster?

Here is what Brian just posted:

Phoenix nozzles will be available for sale starting at 12:01am or .01am Friday November 27th 2009 as part of our annual Vintage Double Hose Black Friday Sale. Nozzles will be available for immediate shipment that day if I have your waiver on file. There will be no pre-sale no reserve or saving of nozzles. 1st come 1st sold.

A Phoenix nozzle will work with any USD or Voit 2 stage double hose regulator from the early 1950's Bronxton Ave Aqua Lung up through the last Aqua Masters as all these regs used the exact same 1st stage configuration. Only the oriface diameter changed through time. Adding the nozzle gets you a ballanced 1st stage and 3 Hp and 3 Lp ports.

The nozzle will also work with the Royal Aqua Master, but all you gain is the Hp and Lp ports.

Go with an Aqua Master as they are very common on the internet sites and just about the lowest cost double hose to purchase and rebuild.

I have tried a dozen times to get the waiver form for the nozzles but all I get is a "Session Timeout" message. Can any of you guys get it? If you can, could somebody email me a copy?

Got it!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom