Royal Aquamaster: how much PSI is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcarpini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey, how much can I over pressure my steel 72's and still use my aqua-master? what is the weak point The HP seat or the yoke? I am going to do some diving with a few folks that will have Al 80s. And I really want to dive my Double Hose. they all grumble about my antiquated gear and they dont like there dive cut short because I feel like being nostalgic.

In terms of tank pressure the seat in the Royal Aquamaster is the same as the Conshelf/Titan seat and handles 3500 psi quite well. In terms of the yoke - it depends. The last of the round label style Royal Aquamasters had a heavy duty yoke while the earlier square label variety had lighter yokes meant for 2250 psi service and are probably pushing it at 3000 psi, so I would not go much over that.

An AL 80 should work fine, but your mileage may vary and the potential risk would be that the yoke would stretch and allow the o-ring to extrude. lf it is a capacity issue, just get an LP 95 (2400 psi service pressure) and call it good.

If you don't have a long yoke already you can get one from Vintagedoublehose.com and run the thing on an al 80. You could of course use and LP 95, but twin 72's are much cooler IMHO. Your mileage may vary. Don't forget the overhead don and the mask properly placed on your forehead. LOL

Jim

I have the long yoke, non heavy duty, on my RAM and have used it on al. 80's on my trips abroad with no ill effects........I never saw the stretching etc. others have talked about.......however, that does not mean anything......I have read in other forums the Navy used the RAM and DA on their HP tanks......3000 psi......for years before the thick yokes hit the market......again it is your risk........

Or, if you have the source.....pump your 72 to 2800psi, that will be about 80 cuft.....the later chromemoly tanks will be ok with this occasionly........I would not with the tapered valve jobs....have done it but wears the valve innards out pretty fast..........

Hey, how much can I over pressure my steel 72's and still use my aqua-master? what is the weak point The HP seat or the yoke? I am going to do some diving with a few folks that will have Al 80s. And I really want to dive my Double Hose. they all grumble about my antiquated gear and they dont like there dive cut short because I feel like being nostalgic.

Are they so serious about that 5 cuf difference ? :)

My heavy yoke RAMs have seen pressures of 3,500 psi. If you have the standard duty yoke I would keep it to less than 3,000.

The HP seat used in the current Titan/Conshelf is a perfect fit for the RAM since the first stage is essentially the same first stage. You should have no problem with 3,000 psi tanks with the RAM or for that matter a DA.

BTW, the 7.0 inch diameter Faber LP 85 is a great tank.

During the Bahamas SD event we were gathering on the dock, a couple of us wondered why the crew was letting air out of the tanks. We asked and they were dumping the 80s down to 2,200 psi because they had heard we could not dive with 3,000 psi. We freaked and told them to pump those suckers up till they swell. So they did. This idea that a double hose cannot operate at 3,000 psi is plain wrong. In fact, not only did we dive twin stage at 3,000 but we dove single stage like the Mistral and 50 Fathom at a full 3,000 plus.

N

As early as the the mid 1950's the Navy was using the DA Navy Approved and later the Aqua Master with the standard yoke on special non magnetic 3000 psi aluminum tanks.
I am wearing those tanks with a DA Navy Approved in my avator photo

Don't forget the overhead don and the mask properly placed on your forehead. LOL

Jim

Just don't forget. Overhead don first, mask on forehead second:wink:

During the Bahamas SD event we were gathering on the dock, a couple of us wondered why the crew was letting air out of the tanks. We asked and they were dumping the 80s down to 2,200 psi because they had heard we could not dive with 3,000 psi. We freaked and told them to pump those suckers up till they swell. So they did. This idea that a double hose cannot operate at 3,000 psi is plain wrong. In fact, not only did we dive twin stage at 3,000 but we dove single stage like the Mistral and 50 Fathom at a full 3,000 plus.

N

We did rattle them a little didn't we, by the end they lightened up. That was a fun trip.

A Faux Voit 50 Fathom at 3000 psi on that trip....and a confused young DM.
normal_DSC00164-small.jpg

That kid was (is) very smart and very good personality and a very good diver BTW. Here he is diving, he was game for anything:

IMG_0712.jpg

You would think if those people could afford a trip to the Bahamas they could buy some new gear, geeeezzz.

IMG_1049.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom