Rough Seas and the ladder attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well occasionqally it is appropriate to ditch the fins, but mask on and reg in mouth is definently the standard no matter what.

Cheekymonkey:
Well occasionqally it is appropriate to ditch the fins, but mask on and reg in mouth is definently the standard no matter what.

I completely agree with you about keeping the reg in your mouth until you are off the ladder and in your seat, but there's no reason for a competent diver to leave the mask on. At the bottom of the ladder (method described in Dennis' post above) after I remove my fins and slip them over my wrist, I usually remove my mask and place it in one of my fin pockets. At that point, I clean my face of excess brain matter prior to climbing the ladder. The reason for the "rule" about keeping the mask in place is most divers have not truly mastered no mask breathing. I also disagree about ditching fins. Keeping your fins with you is much more important than either the mask or the regulator.

I'm amazed that you pushed your knee cap back in. Ewwww. I don't think I could do that. But after reading the alternative, I guess I could give it a try.

fairybasslet:
I'm amazed that you pushed your knee cap back in. Ewwww. I don't think I could do that. But after reading the alternative, I guess I could give it a try.

Actually... a kneecap is the easiest thing there is to relocate! LOL It just takes a little nudge and pops right back. It's not the first time I've relocated my own.

Honestly, it was not a big deal to relocate it. When the ladder hit... the patella popped out (searing pain from it popping out, and the force of impact!), I knew it was out, I grabbed my knee with a "nudge" from the lateral side and back in it went (you can feel it pop back). Painful.... hell yeah! But not as much when it's back where it's supposed to be.... In other words, it hurts more when it's out of place. The pain after relocation is from the strain of the ligaments, and the bad bruises (contusions) from the impact.

I should also say... I've been in EMS for 11 years. I'm not telling anyone to "try it!" LOL :no :wink:

Again... a minor injury in the realm of "scuba accidents/incidents".

Dang Girl, Pictures we need pictures :D

What good is a photographer if he doesn't take pictures of you in your worst moments. . .

Actually glad your ok!!!

jhbryaniv:
Dang Girl, Pictures we need pictures :D

What good is a photographer if he doesn't take pictures of you in your worst moments. . .

Actually glad your ok!!!

I'll have underwater photos, hopefully, in a week or two. No time for photos during the incident! LOL

You know, this sounds like yet another reason to play ScubUNO and leave the bucking boats of *DOOOOM* for someone else. :wink:

The boats my LDS dives off out of Panama City Beach, FL, all have "normal" (enclosed rung) hinged ladders. You can't climb them with fins on, and when the seas are up, they can be quite vicious. As the ladder is plunged into the water, it swings slightly away from the boat, and as it's yanked back up, it slams back into the boat (which is quite the ride).

Proper procedure is to grab the bottom rung and hold on for dear life as you de-fin. Then, with your wrists through the fin straps, you wait until the ladder plunges, and then grab it as high as you can and ride it out. A few cycles and you're above the wave line.

It's *quite* the ride, and there's no way I'd ever hand my fins away before I'm back on deck. It seems most of the people on board *do* hand their fins up, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'll get to practice some diver tows in a real life situation, but them's the breaks, as they say.

Anyway, glad you're okay. It'd be a shame to get hurt badly and miss the 2007 ISOSAD gathering. You do know you're in charge of it this year, eh? :D

Some of my favorite boats in Maui have one ladder on the side in addtion to dual stern ladders. Positioned near the boat's pivot point for pitching, the relative motion with the water is reduced dramatically ---- the stern ladders will be bucking up and down wildly, the bow will be crashing into the water, while the side ladder has less than a foot of movement. In addition the ladders are T-bar for the first two steps which makes getting onto it easier, and then enclosed rungs above so you have two good siderails for handholds.

Too bad more boat don't have good side ladders.

Best wishes for a fast recovery, Erparamedic; hopefully this won't worsen your existing knee problems.

ClayJar:
You know, this sounds like yet another reason to play ScubUNO and leave the bucking boats of *DOOOOM* for someone else. :wink:

Or at least a reason to bring the ScubUNO cards along - that way you can play while recovering from fighting with the ladder :D

Back
Top Bottom