Rough Seas and the ladder attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, in my experience most boats in FL have ladders on hinges for raising out of the water while traveling. So quite often the boat rocks slightly, but causes the ladders to start oscilating back and forth on their hinges much harder than the boat.

Thanks for all the replies! As a follow-up to several comments:

I'm so glad things turned out well. Just FYI... the ladders were christmas tree style... 2 of them... one on each side of the dive platform. I have had bad knees for several years, and routinely de-gear before getting back on the boat. So that was nothing new... it was just a bit "faster" this time to aid in the attempt to get back on between waves. I got myself out of the water... but there was no way I was gonna be able to get out without dumping gear first. I kept the fins on till I was completely out. The crew was right there though and ready to help if/when I asked for it. Actually, if I remember correctly... they helped me up and to a seat once I was back on the boat.... helped me to get the wetsuit and bootie off that leg. I was very thankful... as the knee was very painful.

I was really worried about getting back onto the boat. I did approach slightly from the side... and it was scary... the boat was bobbin', waves going over my head... etc. etc. At one time, I actually pushed myself off the side of the boat to avoid it hitting me. At that time... I still had all my gear on. Only doffed it once I had good hold on the boat and the crew was ready.

Even after all that.... I still went diving again 2 days later (Friday). But Friday, the seas were nice and calm! It was a beautiful day for diving. And the boat didn't bite me either! LOL

TSandM--- Yes... I've dislocated my patella a few times... as you know (in your profession)... a quick little nudge and it's back in...very fast. Much better than flopping around with it out and screaming out in agony thru your reg! LOL I've also watched the docs in the ER put them back in countless times. LOL

I'll never under-estimate the power of the boat ladders.... ever! Big lesson learned... though it was honestly nobody's fault. Just a bit of bad luck/timing/wave action! Again... this would have happened to anyone who went off the platform where I did and at the time that I did. There was just no avoiding it... unless I was to stay on the boat!

I do want to say thanks to all for not throwing me in the frying pan over this mishap! I think I handled it well.... and so did the crew. The crew was top notch!

Ouch . . .Glad everything turned out okay.

erparamedic:
Thanks for all the replies! As a follow-up to several comments:

I'm so glad things turned out well. Just FYI... the ladders were christmas tree style... 2 of them... one on each side of the dive platform. I have had bad knees for several years, and routinely de-gear before getting back on the boat. So that was nothing new... it was just a bit "faster" this time to aid in the attempt to get back on between waves. I got myself out of the water... but there was no way I was gonna be able to get out without dumping gear first. I kept the fins on till I was completely out. The crew was right there though and ready to help if/when I asked for it. Actually, if I remember correctly... they helped me up and to a seat once I was back on the boat.... helped me to get the wetsuit and bootie off that leg. I was very thankful... as the knee was very painful.

I was really worried about getting back onto the boat. I did approach slightly from the side... and it was scary... the boat was bobbin', waves going over my head... etc. etc. At one time, I actually pushed myself off the side of the boat to avoid it hitting me. At that time... I still had all my gear on. Only doffed it once I had good hold on the boat and the crew was ready.

Even after all that.... I still went diving again 2 days later (Friday). But Friday, the seas were nice and calm! It was a beautiful day for diving. And the boat didn't bite me either! LOL

TSandM--- Yes... I've dislocated my patella a few times... as you know (in your profession)... a quick little nudge and it's back in...very fast. Much better than flopping around with it out and screaming out in agony thru your reg! LOL I've also watched the docs in the ER put them back in countless times. LOL

I'll never under-estimate the power of the boat ladders.... ever! Big lesson learned... though it was honestly nobody's fault. Just a bit of bad luck/timing/wave action! Again... this would have happened to anyone who went off the platform where I did and at the time that I did. There was just no avoiding it... unless I was to stay on the boat!

I do want to say thanks to all for not throwing me in the frying pan over this mishap! I think I handled it well.... and so did the crew. The crew was top notch!

Hey, it is early.. there is still time to be thrown under the bus.

Glad you are ok. Learned a new retrevial method, so unfortunetly, your pain has been our gain.

As a side note... I don't do a giant stride, unless I have no other choice, as I have seen more injuries from it, in rough seas, than any other entry.

Ladders can be dangerous if you haven't had proper training (sometimes even if you have) on how to get your fins off at the ladder an climb up sans fins. Walter taught me how years ago and every time I followed a Captain or DM's advise and not Walter's, it didn't work. You dump all of the air from our BC, straight arm the bottom rung of the ladder with one hand, take off your fin with the other, then loop the fin strap on your arm. Repeat for the other fin. After you get your fins off, you can then climb the ladder with your feet. It isn't always easy, but it works better than any other method I have tried. A wildly swinging ladder can fling you off the back of the boat and if you have given your fins to the DM, you have no means to swim back to the boat. I keep my fins until I have sat down. If you try to walk with fins on in rough seas, you may end up with a flat nose.

catherine96821:
Don't take your fins off, no matter what anyone on the boat tells you in rough seas. Keep your reg/mask on until your are out of the water, completely!
That's a big one, and it drives me crazy that no matter how many times you tell someone to keep their fins on and the reg in their mouth, they insist on handing them up and climing the ladder with no reg.

Even my buddy did this until the ladder came up, smacked him in the mouth and broke off a tooth. It could have been much worse. I'm pretty sure now he knows that a new reg faceplate is cheaper than a new face.

Same with the fins. If you get knocked off the ladder, fins are the difference between flopping around and being able get back to the boat.

DMs are always telling me to hand things up (fins, BC, etc.). Unless it's a really small boat or weak ladder, I just say "Thanks, I'll hang on to them."

Terry

DennisW:
Ladders can be dangerous if you haven't had proper training (sometimes even if you have) on how to get your fins off at the ladder an climb up sans fins. Walter taught me how years ago and every time I followed a Captain or DM's advise and not Walter's, it didn't work. You dump all of the air from our BC, straight arm the bottom rung of the ladder with one hand, take off your fin with the other, then loop the fin strap on your arm. Repeat for the other fin. After you get your fins off, you can then climb the ladder with your feet. It isn't always easy, but it works better than any other method I have tried. A wildly swinging ladder can fling you off the back of the boat and if you have given your fins to the DM, you have no means to swim back to the boat. I keep my fins until I have sat down. If you try to walk with fins on in rough seas, you may end up with a flat nose.

Nice method to remember, Dennis. I actually asked if I could hand up my fins (not thinking... and focused on the pain)... and was told to leave them on. Hence, the Christmas Tree style ladders are designed to climb with fins on. Once I was up... I turned and sat on my butt on the dive deck and scooted up onto the boat itself.... the crew helped me up and to my seat from there.

This is definitely something that I don't want to ever happen again.... however, (and luckily) it is minor in the "realm" of dive accidents. Hopefully, my experience might be able to help someone else in the future. I mean... couldn't avoid the accident if I tried... but the handling of it may stick in someone's head and help someday.

Web Monkey:
That's a big one, and it drives me crazy that no matter how many times you tell someone to keep their fins on and the reg in their mouth, they insist on handing them up and climing the ladder with no reg.
'

Even when handing up my gear (this time, it was executed a bit different, but same outcome)... my reg is in my mouth till it won't reach anymore... which is when I'm almost completely out of the water.... as in on my last step, firm hold on the boat, etc. etc. And... in rough seas... it's very important.

Thanks for sharing Jamie. Glad to hear that you're OK. Thanks everyone for sharing the good advice. For those of us that haven't done alot of boat diving, it is important to hear just how dangerous getting in and out of the boat can be so that we're more prepared. The advice will be very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom