Rough conditions today down south: dive boat sank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago, a friend of mine was in Coz and his boat sunk. They surfaced at the end of the dive only to find the captain treading water. He was more experienced than most others, so he made repeated trips to the wreckage to retrieve wallets and passports and stuff. He earned a mild bend in the process...

The small fishing pangas you see pulled up on the beach appear to be factory built and most seem to come from a common mold. These may have internal flotation in the design. The larger local built dive and snorkel boats that I have seen are fiberglass over hardwood and I believe have the same flotation properties as your dive weights. They are very susceptible to being swamped if they take water over the stern.

Last edited:
scary

Wow that's brutal! As long as everyone is still alive that's what matters.

I have joked that the dive boat we were on was "sinking again". I hope that everyone was able to get off safe and able to recover their gear/wallets etc.

The small fishing pangas you see pulled up on the beach appear to be factory built and most seem to come from a common mold. These may have internal flotation in the design. The larger local built dive and snorkel boats that I have seen are fiberglass over hardwood and I believe have the same flotation properties as your dive weights. They are very susceptible to being swamped if they take water over the stern.

When I had Bandida rebuilt we had all wood taken out and rebuilt with pure fiberglass - I am having the same thing done to my other boat Shamu as we speak.

Reports are that all divers are ok - no injuries. Most equipment was recovered as well but some personal items were lost. STUFF can be replaced - just thankful that everyone is ok!

News release:

It sinks boat with tourists

COZUMEL, 23 February.- A dive boat with four tourists on board, and three crew sank off the beach Palancar apparently a big wave brought in water into the boat to which he left being completely flipped his helmet up to ras sea, the passengers had to swim back to shore, making rescue the team, leaving all safe and sound.
Around 14:19 hours, a person identified as Arturo Pinon, beach club manager Palancar, reported the service emergency 066 the sinking of a vessel engaged in diving named "Zeus", citing that the incident occurred at about 200 meters from the sea, so it was sent an ambulance with paramedics on board to provide first aid if necessary.
on board were four tourists composed of two men, two women, and three crew, including the captain of the vessel Oscar Gamboa Gomez and his sailor identified with the name Misael Arugo.
according to what reported by one of the tourists named Rachel Yaseen native of Arizona, on vacation in Cozumel and five days had gone diving with the same crew, but on Tuesday to be on the boat happened a fact that in his opinion considered unfortunate, when suddenly a wave brought in water and the boat sank, thanking the crew backed out of the sea part of swimming with scuba gear. On the sand under a palm tree were three tanks of diving, at least five jackets for divers, and one lifebuoy.
To tell René Hagen, from Denmark, one of the men who came on board, he said he was in good condition uninjured along with his companions and cataloged unfortunate fact, avoiding blame the crew.
the place came the boat Defender BR-35 Naval Station search and Rescue of the Navy to assist passengers, however they were already on the resting surface.
the unit of the Navy remained on the side of the sunken boat, the hull in navy sticking to rolling waves, and their presence would alert other vessels transiting through the place either return or round.
Several minutes later, Oscar Gamboa Gomez, captain of the boat tank to try to reach the boat in order to salvage some equipment being supported by two local divers placed; likewise one of the male tourists tried to swim to the boat trying to recover some belongings.
There was no statement from the Secretariat of the Navy whether there was dumping fuel over the sea and / or when it will be refloated the boat features is not specified the sunken ship, or which company belongs.

Reminds me of why I wear a vest on moving boats and a PLB when diving.

There aren't that many ops who go far south so I'm guessing it's one that in general has groups of advanced divers vs a mix.
I don't think that's accurate. There may be some ops that don't go to the south end of the island, but I think most of them do. Colombia Shallows down there is an easy dive.

Turns out it wasn't as far south as I thought it was based on Marg's original post & I was thinking about the southernmost area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom