Rotating turret useful for stage/deco reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes and no. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek them, but if your backgas regs are turrets then there is a benefit to keeping everything identical. I would worry more about service and keeping everything easy to deal with. Most of mine are Poseidon 3960's because I have a box of them as I started replacing them with Deep6 Signatures, but if I had Deep6 Signatures and nothing else then I would stay with that same regulator for stage/deco because it makes service easier. Everything can move around as necessary.

I've a couple of Apeks DST first stages which I like to use. IMHO the twisty turret cleans up the routing a bit and is a bit more comfortable when doing open circuit deco as you can tighten the hose down behind your neck by twisting the turret downwards.

It's subtle though. When all's said and done, DS4's work just as well as their twisty DST siblings.

In summary: I've got 'em, so I use 'em. DS4s are fine as well.

Weight is also a factor. A DS4 and DST are identical to service, but the DST is 0.5kg heavier. If you are using 7L Ali's they don't get positive, so using a DST over a DS4 just means you are heavier than you need to be. It's small but after 2-3 stages not negligible. Maybe there is an arguement to use a DST on an Ali 80 to help negate it getting positive.

Scubapro MK25 do have thicker O-rings in the turret. I find the turrets are ideal if you plan to dive sidemount, and I prefer them for stages/deco. Especially if you're using stages on both sides.

This year I'll take classes in using stage & deco bottles. Are rotating turrets helpful for stage & deco regs?
I have used all manner of "stage and deco bottles" for years, without any hose-routing problems whatsoever; and I have never owned any regulators with turrets . . .

Weight is also a factor. A DS4 and DST are identical to service, but the DST is 0.5kg heavier. If you are using 7L Ali's they don't get positive, so using a DST over a DS4 just means you are heavier than you need to be. It's small but after 2-3 stages not negligible. Maybe there is an arguement to use a DST on an Ali 80 to help negate it getting positive.
actually the opposite is true, you want them to be as light as possible, though again the half pound or whatever different they are is pretty inconsequential. I would not seek out one or the other based on weight. Keeping them the same brand/parts kit to your backgas is more important than worry about half a pound of weight or whether you use a 40" hose vs a 36" hose.

Depends on the reg. Regs with a "bottom" port Atomic, SP less need for a rotating turret. But one thing to consider is when using your doubles rig for singles. Having a rotating turret for singles is nicer. That said, I am in the school of buy one brand of regs. Makes servicing easier.

Back
Top Bottom