Rotating turret useful for stage/deco reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stages and deco bottles are not factored into weighting of a diver as they are not permanent parts of the rig. They're not "ditchable" in the sense of dropping lead from a pocket/pouch/belt but they are not considered part of the "balanced rig" as they are close enough to neutral.
I'm not saying you should consider the stage as part of your weighting. I'm saying if you dive a balanced rig then a DST over a DS4 on a stage is extra weight you do not need. A 7L ali is approx 1.8kg negative at 200bar in salt water. So the difference in weight from DS4 to DST on paper is significant. As per my previous example, in a balanced rig it will make you 10% more negative than you need to be at the start of the dive with 2 stages - it's even more significant at the end of the dive but assuming you managed the start the end will obvisouly be easier.

Now if you made me do a Pepsi test with stages with DS4s vs DSTs am I confident I would be able to tell the difference...no, this is purely academic but that's what forums are for right! :p

I'm not saying you should consider the stage as part of your weighting. I'm saying if you dive a balanced rig then a DST over a DS4 on a stage is extra weight you do not need. A 7L ali is approx 1.8kg negative at 200bar in salt water. So the difference in weight from DS4 to DST on paper is significant. As per my previous example, in a balanced rig it will make you 10% more negative than you need to be at the start of the dive with 2 stages - it's even more significant at the end of the dive but assuming you managed the start the end will obvisouly be easier.

Now if you made me do a Pepsi test with stages with DS4s vs DSTs am I confident I would be able to tell the difference...no, this is purely academic but that's what forums are for right! :p
eating too many beans the night before you dive will have a larger effect on your buoyancy than a DS4 vs a DST

eating too many beans the night before you dive will have a larger effect on your buoyancy than a DS4 vs a DST
What if you eat too many beans and you have a DST...double trouble

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom